Too frothy to get out of bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motney

Reaction score
Just made 40 bottles of American Pale Ale in clear plastic PET bottles they are ready to drink with the expected sediment on the bottom the beer is crystal clear but as soon as I open one the rush mixes the sediment up again and it pours cloudy. Very annoying I have tried gently and slowly opening screw caps but same result. Any ideas?

You could try chilling them really cold, open them and the gas should stay in the beer. You might need to pour them like this into a jug & let them warm up a bit though before drinking if it's a beer that loses it's taste if too cold.

Just made 40 bottles of American Pale Ale in clear plastic PET bottles they are ready to drink with the expected sediment on the bottom the beer is crystal clear but as soon as I open one the rush mixes the sediment up again and it pours cloudy. Very annoying I have tried gently and slowly opening screw caps but same result. Any ideas?
i have had the same problem, which in the past i have not, i am puting it down to the warm weather we are having.

Try venting some gas out by gently unscrewing the lids, letting the sediment settle, then moving the bottles somewhere cold and going with 666's suggestion.

If you're getting too much foam you have almost certainly bottled too early. How long did you leave them? I normally do 2 weeks in the FV in the warm + 1 week in another FV at a cooler temp, to let the yeast drop out, then bottle.

I am getting a little bit of a result with the great advice above so will try your suggestion aswell with the brew on the go at the moment I have an STC set up so temp no problem I usually leave 2-2.5 weeks there then bottle then 2 weeks warm and then at least 2 weeks cold but maybe the yeast settles better and quicker in a larger second FV as you say. But if that is the case why not just leave it 4 weeks in primary FV? I will experiment.
Many thanks

I am prone to over priming when I bottle but dont get that, however I use glass and bottle caps have never used PET bottles so perhaps that is one factor.

Try cold crashing for a couple days then as suggested venting some gas off and leave for another 10 minutes of so before pouring

good luck

i've brewed the Youngs APA kit & my records show it was a slow ferment, it took mine 4 weeks to fully ferment, so its possible you bottled too early.

Yes you have cracked it many thanks after a load of research and looking on the American forums I realise I have made a mistake. I bottled too soon with these American style beers 2 weeks even at a controlled stable temp is just not enough. My second brew a Young's American Amber ale is now 3 weeks 2 days in the FV and its still dropping its now 1.000 it nearly fooled me because after 2 weeks it stayed steady at 1.006 for 3 days so I thought it was ready. So with the current brew I will use the cold crashing advice from this forum so I don't waste it then ferment these lovely beers for 4 weeks. Many thanks to all.

Back