Too frothy to get out of bottles

Discussion in 'General Beer Brewing Discussion' started by motney, Sep 13, 2014.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Sep 13, 2014 #1

motney

motney

motney

Just made 40 bottles of American Pale Ale in clear plastic PET bottles they are ready to drink with the expected sediment on the bottom the beer is crystal clear but as soon as I open one the rush mixes the sediment up again and it pours cloudy. Very annoying I have tried gently and slowly opening screw caps but same result. Any ideas?

2. Sep 13, 2014 #2

Cwrw666

Cwrw666

Cwrw666

Landlord.

You could try chilling them really cold, open them and the gas should stay in the beer. You might need to pour them like this into a jug & let them warm up a bit though before drinking if it's a beer that loses it's taste if too cold.

3. Sep 13, 2014 #3

remaerd

remaerd

remaerd

i have had the same problem, which in the past i have not, i am puting it down to the warm weather we are having.

4. Sep 13, 2014 #4

Slid

Slid

Slid

Forum Friend Moderator

Try venting some gas out by gently unscrewing the lids, letting the sediment settle, then moving the bottles somewhere cold and going with 666's suggestion.

5. Sep 14, 2014 #5

darrellm

darrellm

darrellm

Landlord. Supporting Member

If you're getting too much foam you have almost certainly bottled too early. How long did you leave them? I normally do 2 weeks in the FV in the warm + 1 week in another FV at a cooler temp, to let the yeast drop out, then bottle.

6. Sep 15, 2014 #6

motney

motney

motney

I am getting a little bit of a result with the great advice above so will try your suggestion aswell with the brew on the go at the moment I have an STC set up so temp no problem I usually leave 2-2.5 weeks there then bottle then 2 weeks warm and then at least 2 weeks cold but maybe the yeast settles better and quicker in a larger second FV as you say. But if that is the case why not just leave it 4 weeks in primary FV? I will experiment.
    Many thanks

568ml likes this.
  7. Sep 15, 2014 #7

cheshirehomebrew

cheshirehomebrew

cheshirehomebrew

Regular.

I am prone to over priming when I bottle but dont get that, however I use glass and bottle caps have never used PET bottles so perhaps that is one factor.

Try cold crashing for a couple days then as suggested venting some gas off and leave for another 10 minutes of so before pouring

good luck

8. Sep 15, 2014 #8

stout les

stout les

stout les

i've brewed the Youngs APA kit & my records show it was a slow ferment, it took mine 4 weeks to fully ferment, so its possible you bottled too early.

9. Sep 22, 2014 #9

motney

motney

motney

Yes you have cracked it many thanks after a load of research and looking on the American forums I realise I have made a mistake. I bottled too soon with these American style beers 2 weeks even at a controlled stable temp is just not enough. My second brew a Young's American Amber ale is now 3 weeks 2 days in the FV and its still dropping its now 1.000 it nearly fooled me because after 2 weeks it stayed steady at 1.006 for 3 days so I thought it was ready. So with the current brew I will use the cold crashing advice from this forum so I don't waste it then ferment these lovely beers for 4 weeks. Many thanks to all.

10. Sep 22, 2014 #10

pms67

pms67

pms67

Senior Member Supporting Member

1000!!!! Are you sure?

11. Sep 22, 2014 #11

matt666

matt666

matt666

1.000 is the gravity of plain water, think something's wrong there!

12. Oct 7, 2014 #12

motney

motney

motney

ha ha ha nope its 1005