Too much chocolate malt?

Discussion in 'General Recipe Discussion' started by earthwormgaz, Jan 31, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Jan 31, 2019 #1

earthwormgaz

earthwormgaz

earthwormgaz

Regular.

Hi forum,

Long time no brew. I might do a stout or porter next. I've got a back of chocolate malt, and another of dark chocolate malt to use. As well as a bag of black malt.

What are the pitfalls of doing a brew that involves wanging a shed load of this in to use it up? They are 500g/1 lb bags, with a bit used in each case.

Usually do a 5 gallon brew.

2. Jan 31, 2019 #2

MmmBeer

MmmBeer

MmmBeer

I made a couple of batches of Old Peculiar clone last year, in the first one I used 140g of chocolate malt (out of a 6kg grain bill), and although it was good and tasted like OP, it was a bit harsh with a strong burnt flavour. However for the second batch, I reduced to 100g and felt it lacked a bit in depth and character.

3. Feb 10, 2019 #3

earthwormgaz

earthwormgaz

earthwormgaz

Regular.

Hmm, damned if you do, damned if you don't then :)

4. Feb 10, 2019 #4

Zephyr259

Zephyr259

Zephyr259

Landlord.

Think it was @Dutto who brewed a barleywine with a bit too much chocolate malt, he hasn't given up on it but it's taking a while to be drank.

Based on Greg Hughes recipes porters come in around 200g of roast malt and stouts up to 500g per 23 L batch. I've brewed his milk stout with 300g chocolate and 200g roasted barley and it's nice and not massively roasted, his bourbon stout is also very good and it only has 350g chocolate malt so is milder.

5. Feb 10, 2019 #5

AdeDunn

AdeDunn

AdeDunn

I used 180g in my Binky's Well Baked porter (14 litre batch), and it's not roasty at all, 240g in my after dinner mint porter (14 litres again). lol Pale chocolate though (Ponder's Paradise Porter) I used 300g, along with 20g of black malt, and got a lovely mocha flavour (again 14 litre batch).

Oh, and brown malt in all of these....

What I didn't use was roasted barley, as that tends to add seriously roasty flavours (read burned coffee....).

I'm not scared of chocolate malt. :beer1::laugh8:

6. Feb 10, 2019 #6

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

"Mea Culpa" on the "too much Chocolate Malt for a Barley Wine!"

After nearly three years on the shelf the original Barley Wine is still crap (with a capital "K"!) but the modified and watered down "Mars Bar" version (to which I have added Caramel Flavouring) may still be palatable with a bit more conditioning.

My advice is "Reduce Chocolate Malt percentage until you decide exactly how much 'chocolate' flavour you want in a brew." and here's one reason why ...

IMG_1004.jpg

With an EBC of 1060 it's bound to be bitter and (for me) the chocolate flavour was so high that I still have an unopened bag of the stuff, which also went out of date over a year ago!

At 50g per brew in a Mild (I'm not too keen on Stouts and Porters) and using it as a flour to make "Chocolate Malt Bread" at 10g per 500g loaf, it will probably take me well into this century before I manage to use it all up.

My only comment is "Where are the bloody weevils when you need them?" because SWMBO would throw a fit if I tried to chuck it into the bin as it is!

Zephyr259 likes this.