Too much foam when pouring ale from plastic pressure barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogmcdog

Reaction score
First time brewer here looking for some advice...
I've brewed a Wilkos golden ale kit after picking up a bunch of equipment at half price earlier in the year. Fermented in bucket, then transferred to plastic pressure barrel (can't post links but it's the standard wilkinsons one) and added sugar.
After a month or so the beer is tasting lovely (I dry hopped with some simcoe hops) but the problem I'm having is that when I turn the tap on my barrel I get loads and loads of foam. I've got around this by just turning the tap a tiny way and taking 3 or 4 minutes to pour a pint but it's a pain.
I've trawled the forums looking for advice but can't find any for plastic barrels. Do I need some beer line? Should I release some of the pressure?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
:cheers:

hey, sorry for the super quick replies, just good timing and i'm on a sick day - i'm not stalking you or anything.

you do get loads of loads of foam until halfway down. it's just a reality of cheap kegs, and the benefits outweigh the burdens - you need to keep as much pressure as possible in the keg.

you can reduce it a little by keeping the keg cooler (but this will reduce the amount of pressure in the barrel, so you'll need to use a gas valve sooner) and you can cope with it by pouring a few pints into a jug at the time. it saves you standing at the keg like a knob trying to convince your mates that it's normal :lol:

congrats on your success, and welcome to the brewing bug! :cheers:

Could try attaching a hose to the tap. Hose touches the bottom of the glass so you reduce the foam buildup.

I have the same problem with the kegs and the small 5 litre kegs, the only way I've found to pour a decent pint is REALLY slowly then when it gets near the top open the tap a little further and give it a squirt to get a decent head.

droche said:
I have the same problem with the kegs and the small 5 litre kegs, the only way I've found to pour a decent pint is REALLY slowly then when it gets near the top open the tap a little further and give it a squirt to get a decent head.

This is what I do and not had any problems yet And a decent pint too

You could unscrew the cap a tiny bit to release a little bit of the pressure, either that or a hose attached to the nozzle may be a good idea :)

Alternatively if you don't have a cap with a valve on top, go down to wilko and buy one, replace it and gas it back up with a co2 canister at the same time, voila. You'll need to get one sooner or later anyway if you just have the cap which comes with the pressure barrel.

Go to WilKos and buy a cheap plastic turkey baster. When you get home measure it against you pint glass and cut it to just a bit longer than the glass. The 'extension' should fit snugly over the end of the drum tap. . . . Place glass under tube with the nozzle end at the bottom of the glass, open valve all the way . . . It should fill quickly with very little foam . . .or at least only enough to generate a good head . . .for the first couple of goes as it seems you keg has a good amount of pressure behind it, it might be best to use a jug. ;)

Aleman said:
Go to WilKos and buy a cheap plastic turkey baster. When you get home measure it against you pint glass and cut it to just a bit longer than the glass. The 'extension' should fit snugly over the end of the drum tap. . . ..
Thanks Aleman, I might well give this a go first...

Thank you Aleman, I knew a short length of hose was what I needed but wasn't sure what fitted and I've just been pouring slowly and into jugs etc, I'm going to go and get me a baster asap. :thumb:

Now if you could help me in my next conundrum on the Discussions thread.....

Back