Top Cropping Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone any feedback for my question please?

Not sure there is enough there and of decent quality.
Hi Timtoos,
From my limited experience, it could be you cropped too late. When I cropped I had a very visible layer of yeast on the bottom of my vessel quite quickly. I guess there is no harm in making a starter and seeing if anything happens? Hopefully someone with more experience will pop along soon. đź‘Ť

Thanks Nottsbeer,
This is exactly what I thought. I will just get another pack instead of messing about.
Cheers

Edit, just ordered another pack rather than risk this.

Last edited:
Yeah as Nottsbeer says, you cropped too late. I haven't used WLP013 so I can't say for certain, but the best time to crop is when the gravity has fallen by about 50% (give or take 10%). I.e.if you're fermenting 1.040 wort and expecting it to reach 1.010, you want to crop at about 1.025.

Thanks all. Its what I thought. I did not crop earlier as I didn't have anything to put it into. I've only cropped 1469 and WLP001 so far but they cropped well. I have ordered another 013 and now I have another jar I can crop it in good time.

Latest posts

Back