Top of the range Beer Kit v All Grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the better kits are the hoppy ones that disguise potential off flavours, I'm an AG brewer but occasionally jump backs to kits when I've got little time. Tiny Rebel Cwtch was an amazing kit and indistinguishable from the same beer in a Tiny Rebel bar. Youngs kits are good too.

But when I've tried blander kits like golden ales I've been disappointed, the production process of canning hopped extract, pasteurising (?) plus storage time must take something away from the end product. When I started brewing I loved kits like Muntons Smugglers Ale but going back to it now, it's not a patch on something I can brew AG.

Festival Razorback was one of my favourites. Great kit! I was getting my HLME indirectly from Muntons. Via Davina @ You can brew it in Diss. It was often production dated on the month I was buying it. I think that the freshness of HLME is important and I like CML yeasts. It all makes a consistently good end product. However, I do have some almost two year OOD Cederex LME I will be forced to use soon,,,, ashock1asad.sick...

The kits have put me off Wherry for life though! Sweet malty old man beer just isn't to my taste any more.

Night and day really, AG every time. But, that's only going on the assumption that each has been brewed to the best of their abilities. i.e. the brewer has done the ingredients justice...

You can make equally horrific beer with both kits and AG.

Back