Top up water.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
I Generally don’t sparge but normally top up with 4 or 5 litres after mash before the boil.

today um thinking about topping up towards the end of cool down with ice cold water to help get It down from 25c to 20c.

it will be 5 litres tescos Irish spring water from an unopened bottle I’ve had for six months. I’m assuming as bottled spring water it’s sanitised ok? Is it ok to add cold unboiled? ( I will I sanitise the top of the bottle , lid etc before pouring in.) I have a vague memory of reading somewhere bottled spring water isn’t as sanitised as tap water.

There will be a use by date on it. I do find it interesting that one bottled water company barks on about how its been filtered though rocks for 100,000's of years and yet when you open it , keep refrigerated and drink within 3 days. 🤔 dirty airborne microbes. ;) If the water is 'pure' and untreated it could start to turn green if exposed to sunlight, hence the keep in cool dark place advice.

There will be a use by date on it. I do find it interesting that one bottled water company barks on about how its been filtered though rocks for 100,000's of years and yet when you open it , keep refrigerated and drink within 3 days. 🤔 dirty airborne microbes. ;) If the water is 'pure' and untreated it could start to turn green if exposed to sunlight, hence the keep in cool dark place advice.
It’s unopenned so apparently is good for two years!? It’s been left in a spare room so will have caught a bit ofsun.

im more worried about bottled water in general, whether it needs to be boiled or not.

there are many things in life you don’t think twice about, but when there is even a slight chance you might ruin 40 pints of beer youve spent all day making the paranoia sets in!

If it's any help, I tend to brew short and liquor back when the wort's cold. I use unopened bottles of low-mineral, mineral water. Being able to put 3 or 4 of these in the freezer an hour or two before using them has been a godsend when the mains water supply is already higher than pitching temperature.
I've done this at least 20 times and never had a problem. I've used the yeast harvested from these beers over several generations and never had an infection. I only use unopened bottles. If there's half a bottle left it gets used for something else. The use by date tends to be at least 2 years in advance-it's probably just a stock cycling date.
In short. There's little point in adding the water before the boil since it hasn't been used to extract any more fermentables. Just keep an eye on the hop utilisation as you'll be brewing over strength.

Being able to put 3 or 4 of these in the freezer an hour or two before using them has been a godsend when the mains water supply is already higher than pitching temperature.
This was my thinking. I had it a cold Fridge as no room in freezer.

It’s unopenned so apparently is good for two years!? It’s been left in a spare room so will have caught a bit ofsun.

im more worried about bottled water in general, whether it needs to be boiled or not.

there are many things in life you don’t think twice about, but when there is even a slight chance you might ruin 40 pints of beer youve spent all day making the paranoia sets in!
So I've used water from chase spring exclusively over the last 5+ years and have used it unboiled and at around 3 months after being bought with no issues.

chase spring is available in most supermarkets it's usually the 17p for 2 litres water.

I think I'd prefer to use boiled tap water and acidify it and add the usual water additions.

I take it you are compensating for dilution of gravity and IBU's?

Latest posts

Back