Topping up Mead

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_S_Jerusalem

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello,

So recently I have a started a Lapsang Souchong mead, which has been bubbling away for about 3 days now and is a sort of murky dark brown colour.
I found the recipe on the internet somewhere, basically around 15g tea stewed, 3 jars of honey , I’ve added 100g Demerara sugar to boost the alcohol a wee bit. The rest is the usual list of chemicals.

So for my previous mead I’ve topped up with a mixture of honey and lemon ginger tea, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Does anyone have any suggestions what I should top up this Lapsang mead with when it comes to racking it? These recipes never seem to mention this part lol

Well to make up for lost booze after racking innit.

Was the porter any good? My mead smells like a sweet bonfire at the moment lol

Well to make up for lost booze after racking innit.

Was the porter any good? My mead smells like a sweet bonfire at the moment lol
I like to start out with enough over the final amount I'm shooting for to end up right where I want to be after racking.
The porter was okay. I used the tea because the smoked malt I used was old and lost most of its smokiness. I will make sure in future to use fresh smoked grain.

Ah yes that would have been ideal but because I started in a demijohn and was hoping for 6 bottles this can only happen with topping up.

It is quite an intriguing smell, hopefully I didn’t put too much in lol

Dont top it up would be my advice.It wont hurt to be bottled when clear.(you dont need to count the bottles)
Quality rather than quantity is a good thing when it comes to wine.Or mead.

Sounds nice BTW.

Latest posts

Back