Torrified wheat in a wheat beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarenth

Reaction score
So I'm unable to get malted wheat and have used A 50/50 malt bill with torrified wheat.

I was wondering if anyone else has done anything similar.

I've read that i wont get a very strong a distinct wheat flavour, possibly more biscuity.

Even if it is not very wheaty i'm looking foward to anyway :)

I thought torrified wheat was unmalted which meant that you can't use it in High percentages?

I thought torrified wheat was unmalted which meant that you can't use it in High percentages?

It might work, from a conversion point of view, if the other 50% was reasonably fresh base malt.
https://www.morebeer.com/articles/brewing_with_adjuncts

I've never heard of anyone doing anything like this but yes, I'd expect it to taste very biscuity and to have loads of protein haze. Don't see any reason not to try it but why are you finding it hard to get wheat malt? there are loads of on-line shops that will sell it to you.

So the conversion looked like it went well around 70% efficiency.
using a safale wheat yeast and its bubbling away very nicely.

Basically I havent ordered things for a while becuase most of my post goes missing so I go into shops and grab my supplies there.

Currently get my supplies from some guys who run a brew club in clapton.

So the conversion looked like it went well around 70% efficiency.
using a safale wheat yeast and its bubbling away very nicely.

Basically I havent ordered things for a while becuase most of my post goes missing so I go into shops and grab my supplies there.

Currently get my supplies from some guys who run a brew club in clapton.

Glad it worked for you, hope it tastes good, let us know.
I live in the middle of no-where and nothing ever goes missing. :whistle:

How did it turn out? Have exactly the same ingredients for a brew in getting on tonight. Shop didn't have malted wheat today so had to.wing it.

Latest posts

Back