Torrified Wheat

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did a brewery visit to the Black Sheep Brewery this summer and noted that they said that they used 10% torrified wheat (TW) in their grain bill for some ales to give better head retention. My LHBS closed down recently and were selling stuff off cheap so I bought some TW to try for the same effect especially on the lighter beers I am doing. Trouble is I don't know how to use it properly since I only do kits, so there will be no grain mashing involved especially since the only malt grain I have is crystal malt (no diastase in that for sure) and I really don't want to buy any more grain at this stage.
So how do I get the best out of the TW?
First I thought I would use about 150g per 23 litre brew.
Then I thought perhaps steep the TW in water for 30 minutes say at 65*C, then wash through and simmer the liquor for say 15 minutes before adding to the brew. But do I need malt with diastase to get the best out of the TW? In a previous life I mashed grain in conjunction with good old EDME DMS (Diastatic Malt Syrup); so if I need malt will kit liquid malt be the same, and if so how much should I use?
All suggestions gratefully received :thumb:.

I did a brewery visit to the Black Sheep Brewery this summer and noted that they said that they used 10% torrified wheat (TW) in their grain bill for some ales to give better head retention.

I was reading another thread and it mentioned about Weetabix to aid head retention on a stout brew, I am not sure if that would work on lighter coloured beers and I have not tried it so can't say it works or does not.
If you do give this a try please post your results.

Thanks folks.
My understanding therefore is that I need some diastase in with the TW steep (or now a mini-mash) to convert the wheat starch to fermentable sugars.
Since to all intents and purposes diastatic malt syrup/extract is now unavailable (RIP Edme DMS :hat:), and assuming kit malt extract doesn't contain diastase, the only source that is readily available to me is to use a diastase containing brewing grain like crushed pale malt as MyQul has said.
Time for a rethink perhaps?
PS Not sure about the Weetabix!

I had no idea that diastatic malt extract was hard to get nowadays. I think that's very odd. After some searching I found a product called Munton's Century Diastatic malt extract but I doubt that fits the bill since ordering looks hit or miss and it comes in 23 litre containers.

Does this help at all
beersmith.com/blog/2010/01/04/diastatic-power-and-mashing-your-beer/

I know you are not keen on the idea but I would get some pale malt , what size pots do you have? to start you could just get 1kg crushed marris otter and use that with some TW, it will improve a kit no end.

Latest posts

Back