totally gutted...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a few poorly weeks my old border terrier Willy took a turn for the worst about an hour ago. I've just had him put to sleep. I feel privileged to have had his friendship and loyalty for the past 16 years.
Run free my friend...

The little furry friends become so much more than just animals. They become part of the family.

Sorry to hear about your loss

Sorry to hear that Clint, it's a sad day indeed when they have to leave the family.

After a few poorly weeks my old border terrier Willy took a turn for the worst about an hour ago. I've just had him put to sleep. I feel privileged to have had his friendship and loyalty for the past 16 years.
Run free my friend...

It will make you cry but here it is ...

Poem for a Best Friend

If it should be that I grow old and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep
Then you must do what must be done for this last battle can't be won
You will be sad I understand, don't let your grief then stay your hand
For this day more than all the rest your love and friendship stands the test
We've had so many happy years what is to come can hold no fears
Would you want me to suffer?

So when the time comes please let me go
Take me where my needs they'll tend
Only stay with me until the end
Hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see
It is a kindness you do for me

Although my tail has last it's waved
From pain and suffering I've been saved
Do not grieve it should be you
Who must decide this thing to do
We've been so close these last few years
Don't let your heart hold any tears

I can hardly see the screen for remembering the two ESPs in the photograph.

They've not been with us for fifteen years but occasionally I pull out the above poem and think about them.

Clint I don't know you from Adam but I'm truly sorry to hear that. Losing a beloved pet is the the worst feeling.

Very sorry to hear this Clint. It makes me sad just thinking about the day my border collie ( Webster ) has to go.
I think you should tell yourself that 16 years is a good running for a dog and that he enjoyed every moment.

Sad times - I'm dreading the day one of ours goes. Sorry to hear that mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry mate that is pretty devastating. I too will be in your situation soon I fear (14 years old , now and had a stroke last year)

16 years is a great innings, and I am sure he loved it..

You don't lose a pet you lose a friend who will never question or judge you just love you unconditionally :(

Damn

Sorry for your loss, as other have said they become part of the family and a huge hole is left when they're gone. Sixteen years is a great age for a dog and I bet he had a wonderful life. If there's truly a thing as heaven then he'll be chasing bunnies round a field in it right now.

Sorry to hear about loosing you friend, smashing little dogs are border terriers, or as they are know 'Gentlemen Of The North'
I have had to have two dogs put to sleep in the past, very hard thing to do as they become members of your family.

Sorry for your loss, as other have said they become part of the family and a huge hole is left when they're gone. Sixteen years is a great age for a dog and I bet he had a wonderful life. If there's truly a thing as heaven then he'll be chasing bunnies round a field in it right now.
Now no bunny talk as I've three Biggins they are and bit bigger than the neighbors 🐈😋

Gerry

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully there are plenty of memories to make you smile! 😁

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Run free my friend...

Sorry to hear this, I know its hard I have been there myself - time will heal my fellow brewer :thumb:

Sorry to hear that Clint, maybe too early to even think about it but will you consider another dog? We are thinking of getting a puppy.
I'm sure you had enough good times together to have happy memories 👍

Thanks all for the kind words! It's been a tough week and even though I know it was the right decision I've felt guilty at times.
We have two other dogs who were his best friends...two bitches who are a lot younger and I'm sure this gave him a new lease of life during the last couple of years. His other pal went this time last year so even though I'd gone through it before it still hurt....
Yes we will have another. ...but later in the year probably.
Dutto your poem helped a lot. ..
Dogs eh! Who'd have em?

Cheers

Clint

Latest posts

Back