Tour de bleedin' Yorkshire

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They were quick to put up the bunting / paraphenalia and other street litter to celebrate this non-event, but it's still there now!! How about cleaning up after themselves, preferably on the same day? Still got cardboard sodding bike hanging from trees fercrissakes. This is a prime example of why society is well and truly f****.

Where I live there are many miles of pavement where you hardly see a pedestrian these could be shared safely with cyclists but are not as its illegal so they ride on the busy A590 causing huge tailbacks in some areas.

Other day i saw a man cycling in the middle of the road doing his best impression of a tractor. Huge queue behind him and a cycle path beside.

Are there not enough cycle paths in Yorkshire already to enable the event without having to close roads?
Just put up signs saying of the event and give way to cyclists on that day.

What I don't get is our council spending untold millions on constructing cycle paths on all major trunk roads and dedicated cycle paths in addition to normal pavements (which now make them wider than the road in some places), then come up with signs like these in some areas -
800px-Finnish_combined_pedestrian_and_cycle_path_road_sign.jpg

- So if it is legal to cycle on the pavement in these areas......then why spend all our money on useless cycle paths in the first place ?
That's a picture of a Finnish pedestrian and cycle path sign.

You know, I didn't realise they were different, but you are right it isn't a UK one. I haven't been out to photograph any because I'm not that sad, so just jumped on the first photo of what I remembered it being.

This is one local to me apparently by the caption.
riverdeecyclepath2.jpg

See it does prove to me at least that pedestrians and cyclists can co-exist on the same narrow strip of tarmac without horrendous accidents every day. Who knows - maybe we are sensible about it and slow down if we see people? And yet cycling is still prohibited on the pavement?

If I was a cyclist I would lobby government to overturn this draconian law as these combined paths clearly prove there is no harm in allowing it, and as more city centres become pedestrianised it seems the perfect solution to allow bikes in there too. Heck if there was free bike hire to get around my city you may see me on one too!

I wonder if it would be possible to do a park and ride for bicycles? Park up within a mile of the centre, then bike it in from there. My main problem is I don't feel like cycling the 12 miles into town and then out again up hill, but I would if it were only a mile each way.

For
See it does prove to me at least that pedestrians and cyclists can co-exist on the same narrow strip of tarmac without horrendous accidents every day. Who knows - maybe we are sensible about it and slow down if we see people? And yet cycling is still prohibited on the pavement?
I'm afraid that for some cyclists the concepts of 'being sensible' and 'slowing down' don't enter into it and that's why they are better off on the road.

Keep bikes off the pavements, they are a menace.

Third party insurance should be a legal requirement for cyclists, not just to cover the hapless peds they injure on the pavement but the carnage they cause on the road. Meanwhile, all the litter and rubbish that inspired this thread is still making our town an even bigger eyesore than it normally is. Have they forgot about it or summat, or can they just not be arsed? This is why society is f*****.

Possibly true but they are still a pain in the a**e and shouldnt be allowed on main roads at all

Keep bikes off the pavements, they are a menace

This is the problem they are not welcome on the road or the pavement and there are few dedicated cycle lanes where we live so they cannot win.

Cyclists drive me mad as i am on the road every day and the roads in the lakes are twisty and narrow i don't mind cyclists if they use common sense its the Wiggins wannabees that do my head in ridging in groups two abreast if they rode in single file when the roads are narrow they wouldn't put themselves and other road users in danger.

All this cyclist bashing is making me feel decidedly unwelcome.

I think you non cyclists are missing out. 95% of my rides combine my love of bikes and beer!

Attachments

• 1D14C6E3-39B6-4906-831D-1E7FB4EC7A91.jpeg
    1D14C6E3-39B6-4906-831D-1E7FB4EC7A91.jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 140
All this cyclist bashing is making me feel decidedly unwelcome.

I think you non cyclists are missing out. 95% of my rides combine my love of bikes and beer!
I'm sure you are very much welcome here! the problem is that it is always a few who spoil it for others then it appears as if ALL cyclists are disliked. It probably can be said the same, for example, for dog owners, one dog allowed to **** on the path and then all dog owners are uncaring about cleaning up after them.

I'm sure you are very much welcome here! the problem is that it is always a few who spoil it for others then it appears as if ALL cyclists are disliked. It probably can be said the same, for example, for dog owners, one dog allowed to **** on the path and then all dog owners are uncaring about cleaning up after them.

Spot on. :hat:

Looks like the lakes are going to be awash with overweight blokes wearing Lycra again this year. sick...

3.jpg

South Lakeland DC‏ @SouthLakelandDC 19m19 minutes ago

We are delighted that the Tour of Britain will be returning to #SouthLakeland. Read the full story here: http://ow.ly/5HaU30oT5vn

D8S9fnpW4AA1CWO.jpg

Certain rules apply on the road and it normally consists of who ever has the biggest vehicle thinks they have right of way. Cars give of about cyclists, bus and lorry men give about cars. And everybody on the road is in a hurry to shave a few minutes of their journey. The difference with a cyclist is that they have very little protection so any accident results in a lot of pain.

Not sure you should be bashing people who are taking the initiative to go get healthy by using a bike, it is support that is needed as it is not easy. I am pretty sure Lycra clothing particularly with the right padding is specifically good for cycling etc, but yes fashion is always judged by the unqualified. everyone is unqualified to decide what other people should wear unless it is for safety or uniform. I look pretty daft in hard hat, but I always wear one when I am on site.

And bikes are road users; it is the law in the highway code. Car drivers that do not like that probably do not like mopeds and Sunday drivers either. I hear you on two abreast yes that is wrong, they need to give way, most do but a few bad eggs make it worse for others, judge them on their behaviours not everyone?

I hear you brother.

Don't worry I don't like miserable beer drinkers and there appears to be a few in here.

Miserable I am not. That is my point on the road not the pavement.

Section 64
Something that confuses many cyclists is whether or not they are allowed to cycle on the pavement. According to Laws HA 1835 section 72 & RSA 1984, section 129, cyclists must not cycle on the pavement.

Also best to put the full code down on this
Rules for Cyclists (59 to 82) You should: never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends.

Most cyclists are law abiding and decent people, many are my friends, including my brother who is a very keen cycllist, it is the few that jump red lights that make the picture so bad for the majority. I actually had a cyclist ump read light an hit me on the head in the past as I crossed the road with the green man lit. Why is it fine for cyclist to jump a red light?

This has two sections clarifying further red lights as it is such a common problem

Section 69
Traffic signs and traffic light signals apply to all road users. Cyclists must obey them

Section 71
A red traffic light applies to all road users. Cyclists must not cross the stop line if the traffic lights are red. Use the separate stop line for cyclists when practical.

Further
I quite often find i have to stop in my car to tell cyclists in Braintree and Chelmsford late at night to make sure they have lights, they so hard to see from a car otherwise and it is unsafe. Not just a rear reflector

Section 60
This section of the Highway Code is all about cyclists’ lights and reflectors. At night cyclists must have their white front and red rear lights lit. Their bicycles must also be fitted with a red rear reflector and amber pedal reflectors. White front reflectors and spoke reflectors can also increase your visibility to other road users. Flashing lights are permitted but cyclists riding in areas without street lighting should use a steady front lamp instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back