Transfering from FV to corny keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banbeer

Banbeer Brewing
Reaction score
I've answered a post about transferring beer with no oxygen from an FV to a corny keg and suggested this. I've just made it and tested with water and it works perfectly, I suggested purging a little C02 in the corny and connecting the disconnect to the out post then the other end to a tap on the FV (in my case a little bottler tap) and the white bit at the other end to the disconnect is off the wand and fits the tap nice and snug.

syphon.jpg

To make it work you will need the PRV in the open position, this will initially let the C02 out but enough should stay in until transfer is complete. So the syphon is not going into the keg and the lid is not taken off.

This is basically what I do. I attach plastic tubing from the tap on my fermenter to the beer out line disconnect of the corny. Then I open it up gradually and let it flow. I often make 20-21L though so I first bottle some and then when I'm down to roughly 19L I let the rest go into the corny. Otherwise it's guess work since you can't take the lid off to see how much you've transferred.

Before I would cold crash to ensure all the sediment is below the tap level of the fermenter. However I've since learned that cold crashing is an oxidation risk as well. So for my next brew I'm going to skip the cold crash step and prop my fermenting bucket up at the front so the sendiment falls away from the tap.

I know, I replied on your thread that you posted (sorry didn't know it was you), I suggested keeping the PRV open.

Last time I tried this hops blocked it up as I’d dry hopped loose. Going to give this another go when I rack my gamma ray attempt tomorrow as hops are in spiders. I have also some tapering tubing that should fit the both barbs.

Hope this works!

Attachments

• 511DEF30-E72C-4961-A426-8E3B08819E4F.jpeg
    511DEF30-E72C-4961-A426-8E3B08819E4F.jpeg
    22.6 KB · Views: 89

Latest posts

Back