Transfering hot wort.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crappyfish

Landlord.
Reaction score
Simple question really l don't like carrying hot wort in the kettle it's a bit heavy and it made me wonder if I could cool wort in the plastic fv with a wort chiller or use the pump to transfer it as I have to place the boiler on a higher surface and use gravity to drain the kettle. It's a 30l one concept kettle. I brew in the shed and cool in the kitchen using the kitchen tap with a hose.

For safety sake I would say use a chiller in the shed using a water butt as your water supply - unless you can run a hose out there.
Other option would be the no chill method - fill a container where you are, expell air, slosh to sterilise it - then let it sit.
But I'm new to all this so could be completely wrong on many things.

Err...
I'm afraid I don't quite grasp some of this.
First, I'll presume that the "boiler" is the same vessel as the "kettle". I then assume that you are boiling the wort in your "kettle", then taking it from the shed to the kitchen, where you are cooling it with a wort chiller before transferring it to FV.
Anyway, to answer your specific question then, yes, I see no reason why you cannot cool the wort in the FV. Assuming that the FV is a standard fermenting bucket made of HDPE then it will have no problem receiving wort at boil temperature (although I wouldn't move it, as the plastic will be softened & might buckle). You can cool the wort in the FV, preferably aerate it, then pitch the yeast.
But this answer doesn't seem quite right to solve your question.
Why not either:
1. Boil in your kitchen, and cool there.
Or
2. Run a hose from an outside tap (or wherever feasible) to your shed, so again you can boil & cool in the same place
Or
3. Don't bother chilling the wort. Let it cool naturally. (Warning: lots of people do this - but it has significant implications for the bitterness of your beer. Recipes that require a rapid chill do not transfer to no-chill easily if there are late additions of high-bittering hops)

Cheers for the replies.I dont boil in the kitchen cos of the steam from the boiler and the Mrs dont like the smell. Best thing is the outside tap option.

Err...

3. Don't bother chilling the wort. Let it cool naturally. (Warning: lots of people do this - but it has significant implications for the bitterness of your beer. Recipes that require a rapid chill do not transfer to no-chill easily if there are late additions of high-bittering hops)

As long as the temperature drops quickly enough to below 80º, postboil hops should not add much bitterness to the beer. 24 liters of boiling wort, with 6 liters of near freezing water added, should bring it down to 30 liters of 80º wort, below the bittering threshold.

Latest posts

Back