Transferring batch to a different fermenter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadlyFeet

Reaction score
Hi all

This is about my 4th brew. I am going for a hazy NEIPA. My OG came out a bit low, 1.05, but not too worried, next time I will add some DME to up the sugar content. My issue is 4 days into fermentation my lovely other half accidentally kicked my bucket and cracked it. I am transferring to a different fermenter but must I also transfer the sediment? Is there yeast in the sediment, or will there be enough yeast left in the fermenting beer? I took a reading before transferring and it's at 1.0145.

Just an update. Transferred into new vessel on Wednesday. SG readings have been stable at 1.0145. Dry hopped today, but the beer smelt a little sour. Maybe it's just the citra, mosaic, Amarillo hops giving it that fruity smell. I sanitised the vessel properly and the Syphon equipment but maybe something got in. Oh well, you live and you learn.

Transferring from one FV to another is unlikely to have caused you any problems provided you undertook the usual sanitising precautions etc etc. Some homebrewers (including me on occasion) rack off from one FV into another towards the end of the primary to get the beer off the trub and help it clear, and find it goes without a hitch. Be assured that if it did create problems we wouldn't do it. athumb..

One thing to consider for next time is that moving a hop forward beer like a neipa is the potential to introduce oxygen into the beer which can cause loss of hoppy freshness and some less than favourable off flavours.

Got it. Thanks for the tips. Going to brew another batch and do a side by side. athumb..

Your beers already at 1.014 so it's pretty alcoholic already!
Beasties don't like alcohol and even if some got in - it shouldn't cause a problem. The alcohol will either kill it, severely inhibit activity or just generally over power it's ability to propogate

All beer is infected to some degree, as most of us brew with tap water which has bugs in it.

Hi all

Thanks for all the advise on this. Bottled yesterday. FG is 1.012, so ABV is 4.99% (from OG of 1.050). Tastes good too. Uploaded my initial notes, will upload finalised notes later

Attachments

• IMG_20190130_164544.jpg
    IMG_20190130_164544.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20190119_142122.jpg
    IMG_20190119_142122.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 63
All beer is infected to some degree, as most of us brew with tap water which has bugs in it.
Tap water is required to meet all sorts of stringent requirements including, currently, the EU Drinking Water Directive, with an extensive clean up process at the treatment works to enable this to happen. A testing regime is in place across all UK water companies to ensure tap water supplied to consumers continuously meets these requirements. One test is for E.Coli as a measure of how biologically safe the water supplied actually is, and in 2017 out of 143000 E Coli tests at consumers taps in the UK , 26 tests failed to meet the rigorous test requirements.
So given the evidence I would say that tap water is extremely unlikely have bugs in it. But what happens to it after it leaves the tap is another matter.

Latest posts

Back