Transferring between fermenters after 48hrs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Barron

Reaction score
I discovered my fermenter had a leak through the tap after 48hrs. As I was losing so much beer, I decided the only thing I could do was to transfer to another fermenter. Rather than syphoning it I literally poured it in. Fermentation has really kicked now, but do I risk oxidising the beer whilst fermentation is active or is this ok?

After 48 hours you have probably caused no harm at all. So, you've just stirred up the yeast and aerated the wort in the process. Beneficial I would think.

If you had done the same after 7 days I would think that may cause some oxidation, but as the yeast has likely justjust started after 2 it'll probably be fine.

Even at the end of fermentation you would probably not notice any bad effects. When I transfer to a PB I just open the tap and let the beer blast down into it. The beer tastes fine, always has.
I have no idea why, yet a few glugs of air back up into the PB through the tap if you run out of pressure noticeably deteriorates the beer.

Latest posts

Back