Transporting a Keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheStyler

Reaction score
Hi all

I am going to be kegging my first 5L keg this week. I’ll be travelling at Christmas to the bubble, and wanting to take it with me. Might be over thinking this but having not kegged before I was wondering if the following is sensible:
- Fill the keg but don’t put it under any pressure
- leave it for 2 weeks
- then when I want to drink it - chill it, then force carbonate at 20 psi for 24-48hrs.
- serve, share and hopefully enjoy!

Any issues with leaving out the carbonation step in a sealed keg. Should I connect it up to the gas at 20 psi purge the headspace to get rid of any air, then disconnect it all? Is this necessary?

Thanks for your help!

Personally I wouldn’t see any issue with transporting it already carbed especially as you plan to force carb so won’t have any issue with sediment, maybe I’m missing something but really don’t see any benefit of storing it uncarbed.

It was really whether there would be any problems putting it under pressure and then driving for 2 hours agitating it - please tell me if I am talking nonsense !!!

I agree with obscure I can't see a problem

The stainless steel kegs are built to take pressure

In order to speed up the carbonation process some brewers roll their barrels

In fact the old tradition of rolling a barrel (wooden) down a hill and chasing it was to improve it's carbonation

Also you do really need to put some pressure in (at least 3 psi) when you fill the keg to ensure it seals properly and drive out any oxygen in there (to reduce the risk of oxidisation)

I normally charge them a bit and then release the pressure a couple of times to drive off all the oxygen then put the pressure I want in - but as I say it needs some to seal it

I've transported a fully carbed corny about a three hour drive in the car before. I put it upright between the back of the front seat and the back seats. I then let it sit still for a few days before hooking it back up. It was absolutely fine.

Yeah I've even had a 10L keg strapped to the back of the bike for a two hour ride and drank that evening. I immediately forget about whatever I pack on the bike so it didn't get an easy time! :)

Some seedling I rode home with earlier this year didn't fare so well :(.

Back