Trashy blonde clone mkII

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brumbrew

Regular dufus
Reaction score
Well it's a clone of the grain bill anyway. Well close. I dumped the extra 100g of each from last batch and just knocked the MO down a bit.

Dirty brunette mkII

2.8 kg marris otter
500 Munich
500 cara

Dough in at 50c
Rest for half an hour
Raised to 60 for an hour
Mash out at 75

Noticed a little scorching on the bottom of the tun. I use gas. Cleaned this off before the boil. Couldn't be bothered to was another boil vessel so was using the same one for mash and boil.

Had to sparge in two batches as the big sieve thing from ikea can't hold all the grain. Sparged it all. Run the wort back through the grains using an fv to catch it all. Then run in back through the grain again into the boil kettle.

Took ages to get to the boil. Even on the biggest burner. 16 litres normally comes to the boil in 10-15 minutes. The door was open because the dog was running about. I blame it on her.

Got a good rolling boil.

Junga 60 mins 25g
Irish moss last 15 min
Galanga flame out 50g in a bag

Had a high boil off loss and wort came out at 22 plato. Way to high. But convenient to water down and drop the temp.

Added the bag of late addition to the fv strained the wort through another muslin bag tied to the opening of the fv. Caught a lot of trub and 99% of the hop debris.

Left to cool. Walked the doggo. All cleaned up and waiting for pitching temp.

Going to rack this into a secondary tomorrow. Or maybe first thing Saturday morn. First chance to have a taste.

The paint filter zip tied around the top of the fermenter allowed me to catch a decent amount of trub and hop debris.

I've only lost around half a litre instead of the usual 2.

First chance to take a reading and a test taste.

Normally use a refractometer but this time I'm going to use a hydro as well for the sample taste test.

Did this this morning. Tastes wonderful and has cleared very well. Although I'm still a few points short of the final. It's been quite cold under the stairs so I've moved it upstairs where it's a little warmer. Hopefully it will drop a few more points before I bottle.

I've got a half pack of yeast in the fridge with all the other yeasts. It mangrove jacks work horse. I bought the entire stock of OOD yeast from my local homebrew shop after I discovered that it had been discontinued. Should I add a bit more yeast to it to finish it off?

It's not bubbling much even though moved to a warmer room.

It's been about 15-18 degrees under the stairs. Mostly on the lower end which is why I think it may not have finished properly. It went off like a rocket for the first 4 days. But I've not heard a peep from it for the last few days.

Edit SWMBO was talking to me.

Last edited:
I put 10 litres of this into a small pressure barrel and I've just poured a pint. Tastes woderul. Although I've had to add a shot of co2 after pouring a couple of pints. Seems to have air locked after initial pressure came out.

Attachments

• 20181120_200526.jpg
    20181120_200526.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 44
Pressure keg woes.

Seems I have a gas leak around the top where the copper fitting for the co2 injection goes in.

Reckon 10 litres, scratch that, about 8 litres will survive a few days having drawn some air into the keg because of back flow through the bottom tap?

May put some in a growler a pop in the fridge.

I knew I should've done a whole days pressure test.

Back