Treating fruit juice for turbo cider?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason42

Reaction score
My first attempt at a turbo cider gave me a gallon of something nasty. Tasted like old tires. I’m going to give it another go with apple and mango juice. My question is do I need to treat the juice in any way (campden tablet or boiling, etc) or can I just use it straight from the carton?

My first attempt at a turbo cider gave me a gallon of something nasty.

Making Turbo cider using the cartons of juice method is very popular here and i cannot remember anyone having problems so something must have gone wrong, what did you use, juice, yeast etc?

Making Turbo cider using the cartons of juice method is very popular here and i cannot remember anyone having problems so something must have gone wrong, what did you use, juice, yeast etc?
I used Tesco apple juice from concentrate and fresh pressed pineapple half and half, yeast nutrient, pectolase, half a cup of strong tea all to 5l. Can’t remember what yeast I used but it was a specific turbo cider yeast. I think what went wrong was when it finished fermenting I didn’t add a campden tablet and left it to long before racking it.

Freshly pressed as a term is alot more vague than most people know! As I understand it, the companies that make juice mean it's pressed quickly after harvesting as opposed to pressed yesterday. Tropicana have a process that removes the oxygen and it is then stored for months before having a specific fresh "taste" added.

Back