Tribute style ale anybody done one ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw this thread and thought I would recommend the CML St Austell salute kit. I started a keg last night and I was very impressed. I know it kind of strips the fun of the experimenting and refining your own clone receipe. but this is great value for lack of effort. Doing a side by side tasting with a bottle of the genuine later tonight.

It feels like you're over complicating things somewhat! I've never done any science since school and I struggled with it there. I just followed the instructions from Brewlab and it was very easy. If they had a short video people would see how easy. If they became popular people would crack on to it. The attraction is the yeast quality and slower loss of viability.
So Maltmiller made such a video showing how to use Brewlab slopes about a month ago. Hurray. This is a small leap for people who only use packs of dried yeast, but not for liquid yeast users who must make starters occasionally at least. Anyone can do it. And the advantages are obvious, you pitch really healthy yeast, have better control of pitching rates and have access to lots of brewery yeast strains.

Saw this thread and thought I would recommend the CML St Austell salute kit. I started a keg last night and I was very impressed. I know it kind of strips the fun of the experimenting and refining your own clone receipe. but this is great value for lack of effort. Doing a side by side tasting with a bottle of the genuine later tonight.
I tried one of their kits and it was a nice pint, if a little strong as it over attenuated which changed the taste.

Enjoyed reading through this thread as I'm planning a Tribute style brew for this weekend. Fairly happy with the recipe which doesn't differ too much from those discussed above, bar subbing in Cornish Gold for Munich (thanks Malt Miller... :)) and increasing the hopstand qties..

One question to those who fermented with dried yeast? What pitch rate did you use?
I'll be using CML Midland and was planning on the standard 1 pack for a 23L batch. Had a play around with Brewfather's pitch calculator (using S-04 as the benchmark as Midland isn't on there) and it's telling me to toss in two packs. Seems like overkill? I actually have two packs in the fridge but I'd rather not risk any nasties from an unnecessary over-pitch?

Enjoyed reading through this thread as I'm planning a Tribute style brew for this weekend. Fairly happy with the recipe which doesn't differ too much from those discussed above, bar subbing in Cornish Gold for Munich (thanks Malt Miller... :)) and increasing the hopstand qties..

One question to those who fermented with dried yeast? What pitch rate did you use?
I'll be using CML Midland and was planning on the standard 1 pack for a 23L batch. Had a play around with Brewfather's pitch calculator (using S-04 as the benchmark as Midland isn't on there) and it's telling me to toss in two packs. Seems like overkill? I actually have two packs in the fridge but I'd rather not risk any nasties from an unnecessary over-pitch?
Don't know the origins of that yeast and haven't used it, best to find out their pitch rate suggestion, most are either 0.5-1g per L on dry yeast, so two packs is best practice and what I do, although I know most will just use one to save money and end up under pitching.

I would however recommend a trip to YouTube for a recent video on this beer that you might find helpful. And having recently tasted Daylight Robbery and Tribute side by side they old recipe is substantially different to the beer of today, but still a good starting point.

From my recent experiments of trying to get the recipe right on Tribute so far the most important things have been yeast selection, using Cornish Gold, and also using pellets in the boil and leaf as the aroma addition like St Austell do.

Cheers both, suggested pitch rate is 60g / 100L, so my 23L batch would be after about 14g of yeast.
I've found another half pack that hasn't been open too long so can pitch the recommended amount. No dramas!

Latest posts

Back