Tribute style ale anybody done one ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

Staff member
Reaction score
Just spent a few days on the IOW and had a couple of pints of Tribute.
I like the citrus in the taste but when looking at the hop profile can not see for the life of me where the citrus comes from.
I have read a few reports on brewers brewing clone /style recipes and yet to see anybody get the citrus taste even from kits from MM.
Has anybody had any success getting that taste from the 3 hops they use which all have spicy earthy profiles or is there something St Austell are not telling us? Or is it the yeast?

Last edited:
There's no mention of zest being added, but if you go to the "tribute" web page, this picture figures large.
You're right about the hops; none of them are citrussy.
1660308467428.png

I've just recently made a version of Tribute following @Clint 's recipe, I say version since I forgot to put the hopstand hops in, so dry hopped them instead. The citrus comes from the Celeia, and mine is a bit lacking in bitterness which I suspect is my fault with the difference in dry hopping. Nice all the same, I'll leave Clint to share the recipe though. 😀

[Edit - I reckon the citrus is very similar to Bitter and Twisted Celeia taste]

I did smell a rat AA thats why I have asked the question as I know quite a few members drink and may have tried brewing it.
That was going to be my solution 👍

I haven't been able to find Tribute here, only Proper Job. I recall that I really liked Tribute, but can't remember what it tasted like. Proper Job, on the other hand, is only fit for harvesting the yeast.

that ight lead you to the right path

Extract version of St Austell/BrewUK Tribute challenge 2013 winning recipe. The challenge invited brewers to clone the famous St Austell beer and the entries were judged by St Austells head brewer Roger Ryman and a team of expert judges at the brewery. Award-winning Tribute was first brewed to commemorate the 1999 solar eclipse. Today, the popularity of this great-tasting 4.2% abv beer has spread nationwide; with Tribute now being voted as one of the UK's top-ten premium cask ales. Fuggles, WIllamette and Styrian hops give this beer a delicious malty flavour and slightly citrus finish. 2.5kg Light and Medium Dried malt extract Choice of Yeast - Liquid yeast must be refrigerated. This recipe pack will give you approx 21 litres of 4.4% ABV beer and comes with full instructions. This kit used the Extract brewing technique which requires a large pan (ideally 15 litres) and boiling of the liquid.

that ight lead you to the right path

Extract version of St Austell/BrewUK Tribute challenge 2013 winning recipe. The challenge invited brewers to clone the famous St Austell beer and the entries were judged by St Austells head brewer Roger Ryman and a team of expert judges at the brewery. Award-winning Tribute was first brewed to commemorate the 1999 solar eclipse. Today, the popularity of this great-tasting 4.2% abv beer has spread nationwide; with Tribute now being voted as one of the UK's top-ten premium cask ales. Fuggles, WIllamette and Styrian hops give this beer a delicious malty flavour and slightly citrus finish. 2.5kg Light and Medium Dried malt extract Choice of Yeast - Liquid yeast must be refrigerated. This recipe pack will give you approx 21 litres of 4.4% ABV beer and comes with full instructions. This kit used the Extract brewing technique which requires a large pan (ideally 15 litres) and boiling of the liquid.
Not sure what your on about, so assume you've had a few

I'll post my efforts later...I've just finish bottling the Vienna lager and now I'm relaxing..
I don't think it has orange peel in the original as they'd probably have to put that on the label. The Web site has a picture of a cornish fisherman..a Mr. Trebilcock...it probably doesn't have any of that in it either.

So it's the hops that give it the citrus finish then but I still can not figure it out as they are not known for their orange citrus finish thats what threw me

Tribute on cask is really nice and more hop forward (at least, I would guess it hops)... completely different to the supermarket stuff which I'm not a fan of and find cloying

I'll post my efforts later...I've just finish bottling the Vienna lager and now I'm relaxing..
I don't think it has orange peel in the original as they'd probably have to put that on the label. The Web site has a picture of a cornish fisherman..a Mr. Trebilcock...it probably doesn't have any of that in it either.
He isn’t the guy that got 2 goals for Everton in the 1966 cup final is he?

My recipe is for 22L
4000g MO
300g Munich light
100g Torrefied wheat
25g Challenger @60m
25g Willamette @15m
25g Willamette @ whirlpool 20m @ 85C
Nottingham style yeast.
Hi CC does it throw the orange citrus taste though, Anna says it is the Celeia/Styrian that does that?

Now here's a novelty. I've taken the unprecedented step of emailing the brewery to ask them whether they put any zest in there. I wonder if I'll get a reply.

Back