Tribute style ale anybody done one ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tribute Clone.
23 litres
AAU I have..
Fuggle 4.4%,Willamette 4.1%,celeia 3.6%
OG 1.042,FG 1.010,ABV 4.2%,IBU 27, SRM 5
YEAST Notty,wilko.
Boil 1 hour. Mash 65c,1 hour.
Crisp maris otter 3.5kg
Crisp Munich 900g
Fuggle 15g @ 60
Willamette 19g @ 60
Willamette 12g @ 15
Fuggle 16g @ 15
Celeia and Willamette both 25g hopstand at 76c.
Water,limited info from St Austell...sulphate 170,chloride 100,KH 32

Last edited:
Tribute Clone.
23 litres
AAU I have..
Fuggle 4.4%,Willamette 4.1%,celeia 3.6%
OG 1.942,FG 1.010,ABV 4.2%,IBU 27, SRM 5
YEAST Notty,wilko.
Boil 1 hour. Mash 65c,1 hour.
Crisp maris otter 3.5kg
Crisp Munich 900g
Fuggle 15g @ 60
Willamette 19g @ 60
Willamette 12g @ 15
Fuggle 16g @ 15
Celeia and Willamette both 25g hopstand at 76c.
Water,limited info from St Austell...sulphate 170,chloride 100,KH 32
1.942 Og that should get us to 400% abv!

I think increasing the hopstand wouldn't harm it one bit. I'm planning an early brew tomorrow it's either APA OR Tribute..if I do Tribute I'll increase the hopstand.

I can't believe they put zest in it. It's a mass-produced beer with huge volumes, I would have thought they use the simplest method possible.

More subtle British ales are hard for the homebrewer to replicate. Hop-forward beers like Proper Job are much easier to clone, I've done PJ a few times and compared it directly with PJ from a St Austell pub down the road when on holiday, and can't tell the difference. However Tribute is much harder to get spot on, I must have brewed a clone 6 times and it's still not there. I agree with @Clint and may up the Willamette next time.

Yeah I thought it was going to come from the Williamette being a American hop but when I read the descriptors it is a son/daughter of Fuggles and did say it was earthy and spicy that what made me question it before brewing but it sounds like it does come from the Williamette so I will do as Clint has said and up it when I brew mine

So it's the hops that give it the citrus finish then but I still can not figure it out as they are not known for their orange citrus finish thats what threw me

Styrian will give it a citrus finish, I used it in very small quantities in a Greg wheeler pale ale, (late boil) and I think you pick it up quite a bit.

I haven't been able to find Tribute here, only Proper Job. I recall that I really liked Tribute, but can't remember what it tasted like. Proper Job, on the other hand, is only fit for harvesting the yeast.
I can't understand your dislike of Proper Job, and can only assume it has been mishandled on its trip across Brittany to get to you. It is a lovely drink.

Latest posts

Back