Trimming down brew days

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

This maybe a bit of a ramble as new baby is limiting my sleep at the moment.

Currently reviewing my brew schedule as for the next couple of months at least, full allgrain brews are probably not going to happen.

For Christmas, i am (hopefully) getting 2 growler style mini kegs (10l) and as such am thinking I will reduce my batch size to match.

Most of my friends and family drink a limited selection of beer so although I have given some away, most hasn't been appreciated.

I am planning on going to extract brewing short term as well to make most of my time.

Now, i have been looking at whether I should use my 30l fvs for 10l or should I use 2 (think it would actually be 3?!) Demi johns?

Any thoughts on this?

On a simialr notes, i have been given a couple of kits which i might do. If i ferment these at 23l, could i put an amount into demi johns to store once fermentation is complete? If so how long would they stay ok for.

Now, i have been looking at whether I should use my 30l fvs for 10l or should I use 2 (think it would actually be 3?!) Demi johns?

Any thoughts on this?

On a simialr notes, i have been given a couple of kits which i might do. If i ferment these at 23l, could i put an amount into demi johns to store once fermentation is complete? If so how long would they stay ok for.

If you are going to brew a few 10 litre batches why not buy a 15 litre FV?
And I would have thought you could store beer in a demi john for some time provided you excluded as much air as you could at filling time, and kept it in a dark place.

If you are going to brew a few 10 litre batches why not buy a 15 litre FV?
And I would have thought you could store beer in a demi john for some time provided you excluded as much air as you could at filling time, and kept it in a dark place.

Thanks, that might be a better option then, brew larger amounts and store it in demi johns.

I am not sure how long this is going to be for and was hoping to not buy anything that may in future become redundant.

Back