Trisodium Phosphate Cleaning Concentration

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peebee

Out of Control
Reaction score
Having been conviced that trisodium phosphate was the stuff to use to clean a new stainless steel vessel, I find it impossible the find good instructions for using it. I want to be sure there is no trace of machine oil used during manufacture.

The best I've found so far is here https://mistralni.co.uk/products/tsp-trisodium-phosphate-anhydrous which reckons 10g per litre hot/warm water, but one suggestion is not enough and I can't find anything to back this up.

There's loads if I can be happy with "cups" and "quarts", but I'm not.

do7Ic7V.jpg

It's great stuff. All my new stainless stuff gets washed in it. I even soaked the heavily greased up area of our dishwasher drain plug in it and it came up like new!

It does makes your skin go dry so if you're the sensitive sort then gloves will be needed.

It's great stuff. ...
Same label as on mine. But it illustrates the headache it is giving me. 250g in 1L is 5 times the recommendation in the link above (OP), or 2-1/2 to 3 times for heavy contamination. So what's right? This stuff doesn't cost peanuts (although its pretty cheap) and does have something of an impact on the environment, so not over-dosing with it isn't a bad policy.

Thanks. But tried that. That's what is so stupid about "cups". You have to know what you are measuring - or guess! I guessed it would be about the same as salt, so 1 cup is 270g. The Amazon description for above product suggests 1/2 cup in 9L (for cleaning "medium" contamination), so using salt as a guide that's 15g per litre, or somewhat less than they put on the label! But it does back up the recommendation in the link above (OP).

So, at the moment I'm thinking 15g per litre has it.

Same label as on mine. But it illustrates the headache it is giving me. 250g in 1L is 5 times the recommendation in the link above (OP)
I think you meant 50g in 1 litre there; but anyway, that's the concentration I've been using and it certainly works. You could always test it out on something you know is visibly greased up. Got a dishwasher?

I think you meant 50g in 1 litre there; but anyway, that's the concentration I've been using and it certainly works. You could always test it out on something you know is visibly greased up. Got a dishwasher?
Dead right.! I'm good at maths. But the "5 times" was right. I've already made the mental note to use up what I mix in the dish-washer. You only seem to need to swab things down with this stuff and rinse a couple of minutes later, not soak, so a bit likely goes a long way. Thanks.

Came here via Google while looking for a good ratio of TSP to use when degreasing my new stainless vessels ahead of passivation. Did 50g / litre work out well?

Also, can I use a CIP kit to sprinkle this stuff around the interior of my vessel instead of filling and soaking it? I've a 40 litre kettle and 2 kg of TSP feels like overkill.

Came here via Google while looking for a good ratio of TSP to use when degreasing my new stainless vessels ahead of passivation. Did 50g / litre work out well?
Beats me, too long ago. But I guess my last post here suggests the answers? i.e. Swab down, no need to soak. You've reminded me to try it out in the dish-washer now-and-again! I've been using oxy-clean stuff, but it is not good with greasy residues.

Fair enough. In the end I had a closer look at the tiny bottle of TSP that came with my brewing gear, and they recommend 5-10g / litre. I used 50g for 10 litres of water and circulated that with my CIP ball for 45 minutes.

For passivation I used 250g Citric Acid in 25 litres of water since that covered all the stainless gubbins I'd stashed in the malt pipe and I also let that ride via CIP for 45 minutes @ 50 ℃ before draining. Most of the surfaces treated were dry within a few minutes, and I wiped away any droplets and puddles using a microfibre cloth before letting everything dry naturally. That was 24 hours ago and I've not done anything else because I want the air to get to it and form that layer of oxide, but later today I'm planning to do some kegging and will give everything a good going over with PBW and Star San.

Back