Trub bread?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrhandsome

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've got some leftover trub saved at home and was planning on making some bread tomorrow.

Could I use the trub in place of yeast to make bread?

Sounds like it could make some tasty bread to me.

There are several threads on this forum about using trub for breadmaking and also for using spent grain, use the forum search engine to explore more.
My view is that bread yeast is cheap enough, a few pence per loaf if you buy tins or large packets, and the outcome is predictable, so I can't be bothered with it. My trub goes into the composter.

There are several threads on this forum about using trub for breadmaking and also for using spent grain, use the forum search engine to explore more.
My view is that bread yeast is cheap enough, a few pence per loaf if you buy tins or large packets, and the outcome is predictable, so I can't be bothered with it. My trub goes into the composter.

I've got bread yeast, I'm not talking about that...

I'm wondering if I can use trub yeast, and what bread using trub yeast will taste like.

I'll update with results.

Following! good idea. We already use dried and milled spent grain in our bread, works perfectly!

Never thought of that! I hate chucking all that grain in the bin.

How do you mill it, in a food processor? I've only got a little handheld one I use for soup but it might do in a pinch.

OK so I made the bread. I actually made pizzas with the dough, not a loaf.

In terms of the yeast working it worked well, I added a teaspoon of sugar to 400ml of leftover trub and left it for while before adding 500g of flour and leaving it overnight to prove. The next morning I added more flour, olive oil, and salt (all by eye) and left it to prove throughout the day whilst I did some other bits. Finally I made the dough into pizza bases.

It was a good dough, it rose well and had good texture, and had a distinct sour dough beer taste to it. A great success in my opinion, but maybe a bit too hoppy, you really get the hoppy taste when you swallow - kind of like drinking a beer, but not... After a while it did become too much so I'd recommend using less trub to lower the hoppiness, or perhaps a less hoppy beer trub.

I'll definitely be making beer bread again, just maybe not as a pizza base and a more traditional loaf where I'd be eating less amounts at once.

Took about 100ml of trub from the dump valve. In santised jar, two teaspoons of sugar. covered with cling film and left warm. Cling film was bulging like a balloon 30mins later. There is life!! Spent grain gets spread out on trays and dried in a warm oven (after cooking) we have a multi mixer and put it through the blender. @geigercntr, Added three tablespoons spent grain to our usual 1.5kg bread mix. Dark crystal and chocolate malt adds a lovely flavour and texture. @Mrhandsome, definitely sour doughy and a bit bitter! I love it.

Just about to knock up a couple of loaves using spent grain from yesterday's spelt (wheat) beer. Not using trub though, as baker's yeast is readily available and works a treat.

One part of this is do I want to make bread with a brewing yeast? (yes, why not, it works)
The other part is do I want to make beer with trub? (not really, why would you?)

I keep a sour dough starter going for baking. It has four strains of 'normal' brewing yeast (1 english, 2 french, 1 belgian) and six different strains of brettanomyces.
It has lactobacillus acidophilus, delbrueckii and a few others which were brewing derived and some which were from making yoghurt such as streptococcus thermophilus.
It also has a few wild yeast and bacteria from a culture propagated up from prefermenting limes.
I introduced some acetic acid bacteria too.
Back in the day I created this with about 100g of slurry from a ferment using all the above, 100g of flour and 100g of water. Once it was going like crazy I fed it every few hours until I had about a kilo, then I removed half, baked my first bread with the rest, the half I removed I kept feeding it twice a day for 3 days, removing some to bake with when it got too much before going into my more normal routine.

What I do is keep it in the fridge. I take it out and feed it about once every 5th day, letting it come to room temperature and begin to rise up and ferment for several hours. I then remove some for baking and return the rest to the fridge. I prepare my dough, usually do a bulk primary ferment at room temperature, shape and then retard the dough in the fridge. I'll remove it to bake either 1 or 2 days later, letting it come to temperature and prove a little more as needed depending on how long it was in the fridge. That way I only really have to bake about once a week, sometimes a little more.

I've no idea what yeast and strains remain dominant within the starter, but it just works. It has had to adapt to the conditions I keep it in and I imagine that the yeast is very dominant based on the way I feed it. It doesn't really get warm enough for long enough for the lactic. 2 days of low temperature proving is required to get it tangy, but it'll make normal bread in a few hours if you let it stay warm enough. As I feed the starter with fresh flour I'm also introducing whatever is on the flour and I'd not be surprised if the bacteria found with flour is doing the real work now.

I used to kept a truly 'wild' sour dough starter going and it is relatively easy to make one. It caught mould one day. This starter has proved a lot more resilient!

EDIT: As usual I forgot my point and started rambling on. My point while you can use trub to make bread it isn't really very nice stuff, dead yeast, proteins, hop oils, tannins etc. What in effect you are doing is just getting some of the brewing yeast, an unknown quantity and quality alongside a big scoop of potential ****. Far better is to make a viable starter using some of the trub and then keep that going, baking with it as normal. Over time it'll adapt to your habits, develop its own character and that is way more interesting to me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back