Trying to fix a Whirlpool Arm to my Cygnet

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynx Brewery

Reaction score
Over 40 brews in but the thing I still struggle with is getting clear wort into my fermenting vessel. I use a 30 litre Cygnet and drain the wort out straight after cooling. I always end up with 4 or 5 litres of gunk. Currently, rather than throw this away, I strain it into a saucepan, boil and then cool it before adding it to the FV. It’s a bit of a faff.

I’ve just had a helix delivered which will hopefully help me get clearer wort, though I haven’t used it yet.

I would like to fix a whirlpool arm and use my pump to get the hop debris, etc, settled out. I’m planning to get:

1/2 inch stainless parallel nipple, secured with locknuts,
Quick Disconnect on the outside,
1/2 inch stainless elbow on the inside.

My pump is an IBrewing 25w magnetic drive that cost about £90. Do you think this will be able to create an effective whirlpool?
02E57EB3-ED60-4563-9495-0CEFB74FC4E1.jpeg
56591C90-8C5C-4375-B81C-491815155FD4.jpeg
Any advice as to how high up the Cygnet I should fix it?

I also use a helix and just recirculate the wort during hopstand and chilling ie. pump from bottom tap back to the top with no specific whirlpool system. I find that the helix filters everything such that you end up with a pretty solid mass of gunk surrounding it at the bottom of the boiler and perfectly clear wort in the fermenter. I would suggest perhaps trying this before butchering your boiler to try to set up a whirlpool system.

Keep the integrity of your Burco and get a few feet of 316SS pipe or even 10mm copper and 2 elbows which can then be submersed and attached to the output of your pump with your tap on the Burco attached to the input side using silicone hosing to link the pump.Will save you some cutting and faffing about making it easier to clean also and takes minutes to assemble.Had a similar setup on my own Burco.

Keep the integrity of your Burco and get a few feet of 316SS pipe or even 10mm copper and 2 elbows which can then be submersed and attached to the output of your pump with your tap on the Burco attached to the input side using silicone hosing to link the pump.Will save you some cutting and faffing about making it easier to clean also and takes minutes to assemble.Had a similar setup on my own Burco.
Thanks Jerryjo.

Sorry but I’m struggling to visualise the setup you’re describing. Is the pipe simply used to recirculate the wort back into the Cygnet? If so, couldn’t I do the same with silicone tubing?

Thanks Jerryjo.

Sorry but I’m struggling to visualise the setup you’re describing. Is the pipe simply used to recirculate the wort back into the Cygnet? If so, couldn’t I do the same with silicone tubing?
You certainly could as that is exactly how I started mine.

Thanks Jerryjo.

This is exactly what I do - pump wort from bottom tap back to the top through silicone tubing.

The tube will give you the ability to recirculate your wort especially through the Mash whereas the pipe when clamped in place will rigidity allowing for a whirlpool effect being locked in place which is not feasible with the tubing alone due to the heat and viscosity of the wort moving the tubing around.

I think it was on here someone posted a picture that included one of these
The Hangover
It made me think about something similar, not wanting to drill into my shiny.

Latest posts

Back