TSP/90 Alternative

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tombo

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking to make some PBW from a recipe I found online but it asks for TSP/90 which strangely enough is phosphate free and has Sodium Metasilicate as the active ingredient.
Would ordinary TSP which is 99% Tri-sodium Phosphate be suitable OR is there another product available in the UK that is the same as TSP/90 please?
Please no comments about just using fragrance free Oxi-clean, it works ok but I want a stronger product.
Thank you
TSP.jpg

I suggest that you try ordinary, unscented Bleach.

The main constituent of bleach is a solution of sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl) without a phosphate in sight. Bleach is cheap and recommended by the World Health Organisation.

I use various brands of unscented Thin Bleach to clean my FV’s, Kegs and brewing equipment before rinsing them thoroughly with fresh water (to get rid of the bleach smell) before sanitising everything with a no-rinse sanitiser solution. (I use a water and Star-San solution delivered via a spray bottle.)

This has worked for me for many years.
:hat:

I suggest that you try ordinary, unscented Bleach.

The main constituent of bleach is a solution of sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl) without a phosphate in sight. Bleach is cheap and recommended by the World Health Organisation.

I use various brands of unscented Thin Bleach to clean my FV’s, Kegs and brewing equipment before rinsing them thoroughly with fresh water (to get rid of the bleach smell) before sanitising everything with a no-rinse sanitiser solution. (I use a water and Star-San solution delivered via a spray bottle.)

This has worked for me for many years.
:hat:
Thank you, I have used bleach (and milton) in the past and its very good at sanitising everything but I recently had some beerstone to remove and could find nothing that would touch it, hence why I want to make a PBW alternative. I'm also not too keen on leaving bleach in my SS fermenters.

i read in a few places that normal TSP should NOT be used, but i cant remember why

i was looking for TSP/90 aswell and cant find it anywhere so just use Sodium Percarbonate

Adding sodium metasilicate to sodium percarbonate makes a good PBW clone. In hard water areas it is advisable to add a chelating agent. If you search for "home made PBW" there is a lot of information available. Tri-sodium phosphate is a de-greasing cleaner and is not part of the PBW clone recipes I have seen. You are right to avoid bleach - it can attack stainless steel and will cause off flavours if any traces remain.

Latest posts

Back