TT Landlord. Hoppy?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope I find you well.
Just a quick question regarding TT Landlord. I was always a big fan when I'd go to the pub regularly (if I could find it) but I never got round to brewing it. I decided this had to change so a brew day was planned.
I then saw it in the supermarket so I bought a bottle.
To be honest I found it overwhelmingly hoppy both in aroma and flavour which is not to my taste. Was it always like this or am I just looking back with beer tinted glasses!

Was it always like this or am I just looking back with beer tinted glasses!

I cannot answer your question as i haven't been drinking it long but TTL is one of my favourite shop bought beers and its a popular beer with members so i am sure you will get an answer.

I can't imagine TTL would change its recipe given its 'tried and trusted' standing. It is also not significantly hoppy (or shouldn't be anyway).

My recipe for Landlord (which is very similar to lots of online recipes - they all seem to be variations on a theme) has some late addition Styrian Goldings hops which some online sources (including from the TT head brewer) state is the dominant flavour and aroma hop in the original. Styrian Goldings have a bit more of a floral flavour and aroma, but not so standout as to make you think it's a 'hoppy' beer.

Your experience might be the result of how the bottle was stored? Most people agree that TTL is better on cask anyway.

I don't recall draught Landlord being overly hoppy, in fact I could have wished it were a bit hoppier. I reckon you had a dodgy bottle. You can fiind a recipe for it in Wheeler's later editions.

As AA has said it does not sound right, buy another bottle from a different supplier and try it again

Thanks for the replies I will try a couple more from elsewhere.
I have seen a gw recipe and I have the ingredients apart from the styrian goldings.
Anyone else know of any little tweaks that may be useful.

Thanks for the replies I will try a couple more from elsewhere.
I have seen a gw recipe and I have the ingredients apart from the styrian goldings.
Anyone else know of any little tweaks that may be useful.
Using the right yeast will make a great difference. A similar yeast will still make good beer, but most recipes call for Wyeast West Yorkshire yeast. The Styrians are really a must, too.

After reading this thread I've decided to brew Landlord tomorrow, I have the hops, malt but as I only use dry yeast . Do people think a Nottingham style yeast like Gervin or CML Midland would be OK.

After reading this thread I've decided to brew Landlord tomorrow, I have the hops, malt but as I only use dry yeast . Do people think a Nottingham style yeast like Gervin or CML Midland would be OK.

I thought Midland was the same as Notty?

I'm sure the end product will be good regardless but probably won't be the same as using the West Yorks yeast. West Yorks is quirky. It produces a stringy krausen and takes an age to drop (unlike Notty which drops like a rock). I don't think there is anything else out there like it. I wonder if Windsor might be a better choice?

I thought Midland was the same as Notty?

I'm sure the end product will be fine but probably won't be the same as using the West Yorks yeast. West Yorks is quirky. It produces a stringy krausen and takes an age to drop (unlike Notty which drops like a rock). I don't think there is anything else out there like it. I wonder if Windsor might be a better choice?
Thanks. As I said a Nottingham style which includes Midland. I've got some CML Firm but don't want to risk using it first time on 22 litres.

Back