Turbo cider.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSalad

Reaction score
Just wanted to let people know that if you're thinking of making a turbo cider . . . DO IT!!! I have made 3 x 10 litre batches this year and they have all been really really good. I can't recommend it enough.

My recipe, as follows:

• 10litres of Apple Juice (59p/litre from Quality Save, 100% stuff).
  • 250g raisins
  • 125g sugar (not really necessary but still)
  • 1tsp yeast nutrient
  • 1tsp pectolase (I don't think this is necessary given I'm making it from juice but better safe than sorry)
  • 2tsp glycerin
  • 1 large mug of very strong very stewed tea.
  • Gervin GV4 yeast.

SG 1053. FG 1002. ABV 6.69%.

Primed with a full teaspoon of table sugar in each 500ml bottle on day 21.

Really great stuff. Need to stop drinking it as I'd made the last batch especially for Xmas.

Just wanted to let people know that if you're thinking of making a turbo cider . . . DO IT!!! I have made 3 x 10 litre batches this year and they have all been really really good. I can't recommend it enough.

My recipe, as follows:

• 10litres of Apple Juice (59p/litre from Quality Save, 100% stuff).
  • 250g raisins
  • 125g sugar (not really necessary but still)
  • 1tsp yeast nutrient
  • 1tsp pectolase (I don't think this is necessary given I'm making it from juice but better safe than sorry)
  • 2tsp glycerin
  • 1 large mug of very strong very stewed tea.
  • Gervin GV4 yeast.

SG 1053. FG 1002. ABV 6.69%.

Primed with a full teaspoon of table sugar in each 500ml bottle on day 21.

Really great stuff. Need to stop drinking it as I'd made the last batch especially for Xmas.

Gonna make this today will report back.
Thanks

I did it without raisins. But the whole plan of these is great. I have just bottled 40 pints of cider from apples off the trees but it's a lot of work. So this to keep the stocks topped up. Is great

Surely it will add to flavour. I saw dried cherries and thought of replacing these for raisins. Daughter loves the fruity ciders

Surely it will add to flavour. I saw dried cherries and thought of replacing these for raisins. Daughter loves the fruity ciders

Well I only put 100 grams raisins in 14 litres of Apple Juice. Pretty insignificant really. Maybe I was wasting my time.

And just check before you add something like cherries that there's no preservative in them.

Sounds great mate, I really want to try making some turbo cider where did you get the idea of putting raisins in it ?

I've made plenty of ginger wine where the main ingredient is raisins, this has also been a great success and I just fancied adding a small quantity of raisins to my cider to add just a little body and flavour to the finished product. I like it alot.

After two weeks my TC is lovely and fizzy, this batch won't last till Xmas. Great stuff!!

Last edited:
I'm currently drinking my first batch of turbo cider. Just tesco value apple juice plus a cup of black tea for tannins, spoonful of yeast nutrient and I used SO4 ale yeast. This stuff is actually better than any cider I've made from pressed apples. Way less acid and using ale yeast leaves a bit of body and unfermented sugars at the end of fermentation. But you do have to be careful pouring it as even a little yeast in your glass tastes very strongly of yeast. Not bad for 34p a pint.

Oh dear, just totted up the TC's I've made this year, 255 pints by my calculations...

(and there's not any left ;-), well only the stuff I bottled the other day haha

I'm thinking of setting another batch away tonight. This brewing is addictive.

Lidle are selling 55p a litre or slightly better stuff £0.88 1.5litre

I'm thinking of setting another batch away tonight. This brewing is addictive.

Lidle are selling 55p a litre or slightly better stuff £0.88 1.5litre
I used the 1.5 lidl aj on the batch I just bottled, will find out if it tastes any different to asda's

I've not most of the recipes on here don't call for it ! Week in the bottle at room temp to carb up and should clear also as far as I can understand

Sure someone with the knowledge will comment tho [emoji106]

Ok cool just thought I would check. In general if I use finings will I reduce carbonation in bottles

I haven't used finings so far with my TCs, they do get pretty clear after 2-3 weeks in the bottle. I might try it one time just as an experiment. I don't know if fining reduces the amount of yeast in the cider for carbonation to take place in the bottle. My TC is well carbonated, fab and fizzy. Love it!!

Back