Turbo cider.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to let people know that if you're thinking of making a turbo cider . . . DO IT!!! I have made 3 x 10 litre batches this year and they have all been really really good. I can't recommend it enough.

My recipe, as follows:

• 10litres of Apple Juice (59p/litre from Quality Save, 100% stuff).
  • 250g raisins
  • 125g sugar (not really necessary but still)
  • 1tsp yeast nutrient
  • 1tsp pectolase (I don't think this is necessary given I'm making it from juice but better safe than sorry)
  • 2tsp glycerin
  • 1 large mug of very strong very stewed tea.
  • Gervin GV4 yeast.

SG 1053. FG 1002. ABV 6.69%.

Primed with a full teaspoon of table sugar in each 500ml bottle on day 21.

Really great stuff. Need to stop drinking it as I'd made the last batch especially for Xmas.

Sounds really good this, i'm hoping to have a go at this next sat. What does the glycerin do in the brew?

Getting a 10 lt batch on the go today, i'm leaving out the sugar as i don't need it quite that strong any way will report back :whistle: If i have time later i might get a 4.5 lt batch of rice and raisin wine on the go too :ugeek: :thumb:

So I was in Morrisons yesterday, when I noticed they were selling Prince's pure apple juice (from concentrate) was 2 for a pound. So I picked up 4 cartons, thinking I'd have a go at some cider.

When I got home, I realised I actually got 3 pure apple, and 1 apple and raspberry fruit juice (not pure, think it has added water, but has no preservatives in) - but I think this should still be ok right?

So:

3 Litres Apple Juice
1 Litre Apple & Raspberry
1/2 tsp pectolase
1/2 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 mug very strong tea

Sound right? I also have some malic acid, having read most of this thread, I'm not sure if this would be of any benefit? And I don't think we have any glycerin.

Any thoughts?

I would use the malic acid if you have some. I had to use cooking apples.
I didn't bother with glycerin, I used raisins. Just mash em up with a fork if you have nothing else to break them down.
And if you go ahead, my tip, based on my experience, is to leave it for at least three months before you even think about opening a bottle. :thumb:

I put glycerin & malic acid in my last lot. It was the first time I'd used both.
It doesn't taste that good. Another thing was I didn't realise that some of the juice I bought was only 35% juice until it was too late. Now I've got to work out if it was the juice, glycerin or malic acid which has caused the problem. It's drinkable but there's something not quite right about it.

So I was in Morrisons yesterday, when I noticed they were selling Prince's pure apple juice (from concentrate) was 2 for a pound. So I picked up 4 cartons, thinking I'd have a go at some cider.

When I got home, I realised I actually got 3 pure apple, and 1 apple and raspberry fruit juice (not pure, think it has added water, but has no preservatives in) - but I think this should still be ok right?

So:

3 Litres Apple Juice
1 Litre Apple & Raspberry
1/2 tsp pectolase
1/2 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 mug very strong tea

Sound right? I also have some malic acid, having read most of this thread, I'm not sure if this would be of any benefit? And I don't think we have any glycerin.

Any thoughts?

I would use the malic acid if you have some. I had to use cooking apples.
I didn't bother with glycerin, I used raisins. Just mash em up with a fork if you have nothing else to break them down.
And if you go ahead, my tip, based on my experience, is to leave it for at least three months before you even think about opening a bottle. :thumb:

Thanks, got some raisins last night, so should be all set. Will do it later today.

Another question, we like dry ciders, I see plenty of people here saying they are too dry without back sweetening. But how dry is dry? Can it be compared to any commercial cider?

Another question, we like dry ciders, I see plenty of people here saying they are too dry without back sweetening. But how dry is dry? Can it be compared to any commercial cider?
If you think you are likely to do a TC again you could try what I did which was some bottles unsweetened, some unsweetened and primed to carb, some sweetened with 4 Cologran* tabs/litre no priming, and some sweetened and primed. That way you will be able to compare and find out what you liked. I also ran a little test on the Cologran* tabs just using water to get the amount of sweetness right before I used them. (*artificial sweetener from Lidl's)
I used Apple Juice at the rate of 40ml/litre for priming but it has only just given a light sparkle to the TC; if I did it again I would probably use 60 ml/litre or even more.
I also boiled the raisins before I used them to kill off any unwanted yeasts that they might contain.

Last edited:
Surely it will add to flavour. I saw dried cherries and thought of replacing these for raisins. Daughter loves the fruity ciders

In low quantities the raisins act purely as a a yeast nutrient although I have heard anecdotal evidence that they also help with PH of the final product.

I use raisins in my wines and meads if I have no powdered yeast nutrient (it always seems a more natural and traditional alternative).

I'm not keen in cider but feel strangely drawn to giving this one a go.

It shouldn't be the glycerine, have you tasted it?

The glycerine? I licked the spoon after adding it to the cider, after someone on here said it was sweet (I think). I had another glass of the cider last night and it tastes OK.
But that was after a few beers and quite a few glasses of red wine. This cider is nowhere near as bitter as the other two I made at this stage. It's definitely improving.

I'm thinking it's because about a third of the juice I used was only 35% fruit.

I'll brew another 12 litres following the same recipe but with different juice. I was hoping to get a recipe I liked sorted so I could make 25 litres.

** I've just had another glass of the cider. I had opened the swingtop last night. So although the cider was a bit flat it does seem to be improving.
I'm convincing myself it was the 35% fruit that's not making it taste 100%. I'll do another batch this week, but obviously that won't be drinkable for 3 months.
I think the next batch will be apple / pear juice anyhow.

Here's the recipe by the way.

7.2 Litres Berri Apple Juice-100% Juice.
6 Litres Mildura Apple Juice - Only 35% fruit.
500g raw sugar
Tannin - The juice from 3 tea bags
Pectolase - 3 tsp
Glycerin - 3 tsp
Malic Acid - 3 tsp
Mad Millie Cider Yeast
200 grams of raisins as Yeast Nutrient

db025af897e4c124b29c2bc76c1e4f19.jpg

My most recent lot in mini kegs
They have but one problem. I drink too much when on tap

bottled up my TC back on Monday, tastes quite nice already....hopefully will improve more with age. primed the bottles with 1 level tsp of brewing sugar.
didn't back sweeten as i like dry cider. OG was 1050 FG was 1008.
Have a family bbq coming up in about a month so should hopefully should be ready for then :thumb:

bottled up my TC back on Monday, tastes quite nice already....hopefully will improve more with age. primed the bottles with 1 level tsp of brewing sugar.
didn't back sweeten as i like dry cider. OG was 1050 FG was 1008.
Have a family bbq coming up in about a month so should hopefully should be ready for then :thumb:
Top work..
but don't do the cooking!!

drinking one of these as we speak, just over two weeks in the bottle.... i know its only young yet but boy is that good..:drunk: i've got two more in the fridge for later then i'm keeping the rest back for the birthday bash in a couple of weeks.

This reminds me of scrumpy jack which i like too :party:

Latest posts

Back