Turbo cider.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well we're up n running:

Yeast with sweetener
24l Value apple juice Tesco (the 1.5L are much cheaper).
1kg sugar
340 Honey
2 tsp Pectolase
5 T bags
500g Sultanas

Hydrometer 1070

In the past it's been a bit volcanic initially and I was worried i'd put too much in for the bucket (it was about an inch from the top) so put some into a DJ, however it turned out to be pretty tame for some reason (I know not why) so after a few days I put it all back in the bucket where it's happily bubbling away.
I put the Sultanas through the kitchen blender and straight in the mix and they seem to be floating, maybe that carpet of fruit is helping calm things or it's the excessive sugar content or artificially sweetened yeast perhaps?
I was thinking of leaving the T bags in there for maximum effect, but didn't in the end, anyone tried this?

Next i'll rack off into DJs with more honey for secondary.
I'll let you know how it turns out in a few weeks/months.

Well this has turned out pretty well, worrying easy to drink! The yeast with sweetener certainly does the job.
It never cleared, not even in the bottle, so need to think of what to do next time.
Lidl have had 2 ltr containers of apple juice on special offer so I got a load of those for my next attempt which will be....

Drum roll

Rhubarb cider!

Hey guys !

Blast from the past not been on for few months thought I'd post a wee update but cracked open a few bottles last weekend and again this weekend , hands down the summer fruit TC is the winner followed closely by blackcurrent [emoji108]🏼

1703741281159760dd754c29f1dc5280.jpg

Summer fruit TC

786e2c903e5b31e5ad03a74d7f88a163.jpg

Blackcurrent TC

The summer fruit is lining up for a 25ltr batch for sure, two of my friends are bursting my balls to build a bar in the back garden and have this stocked piled [emoji23][emoji23]

Nice one Mrc, my missus has settled on raspberry, strawberry n kiwi TC and I prefer just straight apple juice TC and like you there is talk of bigger batches to stockpile so we don't run out.

Nice one Mrc, my missus has settled on raspberry, strawberry n kiwi TC and I prefer just straight apple juice TC and like you there is talk of bigger batches to stockpile so we don't run out.

Oh now that sounds interesting cheap! How did you go about that one ?

Oh a stock pile is a must, I genuinely can't believe the difference in these after 8 month they look, feel and taste better than main steam cider and that was the opinion before I was half canned [emoji6] promise [emoji23][emoji23]

Thanks mate I've clearly missed a lot since I was last on [emoji23] there was me looking at the wine and cider thread thinking it's been quiet , I'll give that a check tomorrow once my eyes have refocused the whisky has made an appearance tonight so slightly squint [emoji58]

[emoji23][emoji23]

Hey cheap I had a wee gander that's one sounds like it might be dam tasty [emoji108]🏼

Just wanted to let people know that if you're thinking of making a turbo cider . . . DO IT!!! I have made 3 x 10 litre batches this year and they have all been really really good. I can't recommend it enough.

My recipe, as follows:

• 10litres of Apple Juice (59p/litre from Quality Save, 100% stuff).
  • 250g raisins
  • 125g sugar (not r3eally necessary but still)
  • 1tsp yeast nutrient
  • 1tsp pectolase (I don't think this is necessary given I'm making it from juice but better safe than sorry)
  • 2tsp glycerin
  • 1 large mug of very strong very stewed tea.
  • Gervin GV4 yeast.

SG 1053. FG 1002. ABV 6.69%.

Primed with a full teaspoon of table sugar in each 500ml bottle on day 21.

Really great stuff. Need to stop drinking it as I'd made the last batch especially for Xmas.

Is this something I can make with wine making kit?

Hi!
Going right back to Page 1 and the Original Poster's recipe.
Can anyone tell me how long the brew should ferment in the primary? About..? Max?
Ta muchly.

I like a pear cider but couldn't find any pear juice so I bought some sugar free pear drop squash(Tesco's I think) and added it to an apple cider recipe at the start of fermentation, it turned out really nice. Just bottled a batch of Summer fruit cider for the wife as she likes Koppaberg and Rekordalig summer fruit cider, did it quite a few times a few years ago.

Thanks Clint. athumb..

Banbeer, that's interesting. Few questions if I may..
  • Is it just the sugar, or are there other additives in squash / cordial that need to be avoided?
  • What ratio is that Tesco squash to water to make a simple drink?
  • How much did you put in your cider?
Cheers!

Banbeer, that's interesting. Few questions if I may..
  • Is it just the sugar, or are there other additives in squash / cordial that need to be avoided?
  • What ratio is that Tesco squash to water to make a simple drink?
  • How much did you put in your cider?
Cheers!

Just dug out the recipe for my Summer fruit TC, apologies haven't done the pear TC for around 5 years now, I originally wrote that I added it to the Juice before I pitched and then fermented, actually I added it to the secondary pre bottling and never a problem with it carbing up. I add 300ml (5L batch) of Apple and Blackcurrant sqash to the summer fruits, can't honestly remember the quantity for the Pear.

Bottled the first batch of Summer fruit TC for a while and I did add the squash to the Juice before fermentation and that went like a rocket for the first 3 days. Bottled that 5 days ago and they are carbing up alright. just had a quick google but no one seems to do the 'pear drop' squash anymore Tesco & Asda used to apparently.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies!
Just had a nosey in the supermarket here and they're packed with preservatives - apart from a Mango juice..
No. No no no.. No. Damn it, OK I will - one day..
Got the original poster's recipe going last night with a cider yeast. Was bubbling away nicely when I went to work this morning, but has stopped 9 hrs later and the airlock has evened out showing no pressure.
Give it a shake..??
Cheers from a very wet and icy Helsinki

Latest posts

Back