Turbo Cider in crazy quantities!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewStew

Regular.
Reaction score
anyone fancy a bulk buy of apple concentrate?

i was looking for a cheap supplier of apple juice in bulk buy amounts and came across this:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/50133884/Apple_Juice_Concentrate.html

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

check out the BRIX!!!! you'd need to water that bad boy down :lol:

i dunno about Turbo Cider, that'd make Big Block Supercharged V8 Cider!!!!!! :drunk:

shame the minimum order is 20 tonnes and comes from china :lol:

has anyone found a supplier for about 24L (6 brews worth) of concentrate that delivers? cos i miss my ciders, but find kit ciders totally **** :(

has anyone ever tried this stuff?

http://sumawholesale.com/index.php/branded-goods/suma-apple-concentrate-5l-ju057.html

i cant seem to find resellers anywhere :(

at 5L, if it's 70 Brix (as most concentrates seem to be after further research) that would make 25L of 7.3% cider using S04 yeast :twisted: but i think i'd stop the ferment early to leave it a little sweet and not such a liver killer :lol:

i've put in an enquiry to see if they'll sell to the average Joe (as they're a wholesale company) and what it'll cost for 4 tubs, delivered ;)

I think I can agree with you about kit ciders, myn almsot finished fermenting. Took a sneaky drink after I'd finished with the hydrometer jar.. didnt taste that great (not infected, just not a good taste!)..

Or am I being impatient and I need to wait until its settled in the bottle and been put in a cool place?

Eeep!

i've done 3 kit ciders. one got infected, and the other two simply refused to clear and tasted way too thin on flavour for my tastes.

of the two that made it, they both had spraymalt amongst the ingredients (as in, already in the tin of concentrate)... and i reckoned that's what spoiled them. sadly the only one that was made with pure apple concentrate was the one that caught an infection... well i say infection... it never tasted right, even with over a month in the keg. wasn't vinegary... but wasn't nice either.. so went down the drain :(

i've done 3 TC's now with Gardner's apple juice made from concentrate (ie watered down concentrate) from a shop where i used to live... worked out at £12 for 24 litres of the stuff, i used a kilo of brewers sugar and S04 yeast, which left it with it's apple flavour and aroma (unlike champagne or cider yeast that leaves it super dry :sick: ) and it fell crystal clear without finings within a week, and was absolutely superb!

unfortunately now that i've moved house, the logistics of getting that juice just isn't worth it... especially if the shop hasn't got it in stock in those quantities!

Turbo Cider for the win! :thumb:

Hehe,

I think I'm getting the same problem with my cider kit as you.. although It's still drinkable (whether thats because I'll drink anything i dont know!)

Ooopsy, My 3l of turbo cider is fermenting with high alcohol wine yeast :oops: , hope it doesnt ruin the flavour!

If you dont mind me asking, what is S04 yeast? and S05? etc..

I've heard you guys talk about it on here but never quite sure what you mean :oops:

crE :cheers:

**hollars at EB & AT ** we need S04 and S05 etc added to the glossary!!

S04 is a shortened name for Safale 04 a strain of dried yeast available in most decent brew shops both online and on the high street. Safale 05 is just another strain. different strains are used for different styles of beer... but S04 tends to be the "generic" strain that is in abundant supply and most commonly used amongst home brewers ;)

dont panic about your TC. try it, if you like it, then great! but you wont know till you try! if it's too dry, then you know for next time to use a lower attenuating yeast ;)

Cheers brewstew,

Youve been a massive help over the last few days :grin:

and I hope your cider goes well!

I think I'm off to ASDA on Sunday to buy silly amounts of apple juice :party:

crE said:
Cheers brewstew,

Youve been a massive help over the last few days :grin:

and I hope your cider goes well!

I think I'm off to ASDA on Sunday to buy silly amounts of apple juice :party:

good man :D :thumb:

and thanks! :)

my personal preference is "aslong as it takes, and no more".

i rack my beers and cider after the hydrometer's been steady for two days... but only if it's reached the attenuation.. even if this means only 4 or 5 days (for the occasional violent ferments i've had). of course if it ever stuck, then i'd rouse and give it two days more before deciding what to do ;)

the reason i dont let it sit too long in primary is a personal decision and for two reasons.

1) my first ever AG brew got infected cos i couldn't rack it in time before i got tied up with other personal things... it was sat there for well over 10 days (i think it was on it's 12th or 13th day). so that disgruntled me and i vowed never to let a beer sit longer than 10 days in a fermenter with a loose fitted lid unless absolutely necessary.

2) the second reason that i've come to get a taste for, is "yeast bite" or by it's technical term "autolysis". this is a flavour that's hard to describe... but it's caused by leaving the beer on the trub (dead yeast cells) too long. the live yeast eats the dead and causes an off flavour that's called "yeast bite". i've noticed this flavour starting to bear it's ugly head in some of my earlier beers, so make the effort to try and avoid it now (and have done successfully since :))

Try using apple juice instead of brewing sugar to make up a cider kit.

IIRC 1 litre of apple juice contains about 250g of sugar (on average), so just add 4 or 5 cartons of apple juice to the kit contents and top up with water. Definitely improves the overall taste.

PAH! Don't blame your **** brewing techniques on cider kits BS. :nono: :P

I've made 5 cider kits now-all blackrock and all bloody great. Finished at 5.5% and clear as a bell. I use the cider yeast supplied and 1 1/2 times the dextrose recommended. I carbonate then half usual for a semi sparkling cider. :cool:

My cider kits need 6 weeks in the bottle before they shine. Perhaps you should try bottling your kit cider BS rather than drinking it straight from the fermenter a few hours after adding the yeast? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Well done MEB - your first useful post :P

1 decent post out of 743 ain't bad :lol:

Latest posts

Back