Turbo cider.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must say time makes a huge difference tonight I had a bottle from my first batch at beginning of November and as young as that is I feel it's better than more recent brews but at the early days the more recent are better. But who cars we enjoy making and drinking the stuff

I'm home from work on Friday and I'm itching to try a few batches , looking forward to trying the summer fruit one now it's sat for a few weeks

Another month on since I started drinking this and tonight I'm drinking it straight as it comes from the bottle, no sugar or lowicz added and its alright, :thumb:

definitely got better since we were drinking it at christmas, still could do with a bit more rasp flavour but its lost its harshness and quite palatable.

Next time I'll add a bottle of lowicz at start, otherwise it'll be the same, and I'll just leave it for a good six weeks after bottling.

I put a gallon of TC together on Monday, but I sneaked it behind 2 other DJ;'s in the kitchen and forgot about it until my missus asked, "Is this your beer up here on the worktop now?" as she glanced into the conservatory where the beer is, but didn'y seem to notice they were all there still!

I was asked to keep the amount of FV's and Dj's in the kitchen/conservatory to a minimum, so without actually lying I replied, " It needed it bit more warmth to help it finish" I think I've got away with it for now.

It was simple plain TC

3L apple juice
1L water
Cider yeast
1 tsp nutrient
1 tsp pectolase

BTW Magpie hasn't been on for ages?

put a batch on last week of this.

20 litres though.

didn't double the raisins, and used cider yeast instead.

the bucket was bubbling like a mad one for the first few days.

no idea where I am going to store all this, as I have about 50 pints stored in there already!

I put a 12 litre batch of my grapefruit brew on this week. Edit.... sorry didn't realise this was the cider thread. Oh well.

Added sultanas instead of raisins as they're a lot cheaper.
Added glycerin too which I didn't use in the original batch. This time when I bottle it I'm going to use just sugar.
Adding extra grapefruit juice caused too much sediment in the bottle. I love this stuff.

My last batch of cider was bottled last weekend. I'm going to try and keep this for at least two months before drinking.
AJ etc is on special again this week. I'm thinking of using Apple & Pear this time.

Just replied to an add on gumtree. someone giving away a cupboard/pantry. Idea for putting the beer in.

Hi All,

Just taken a few hrs to read through the whole thread, very interesting developments!:thumb:

Definitely going to try the Robinsons brews and am interested in some nice variations on plain old TC - I love the idea of carbing with syrup/Raspberry syrup etc.

How has the one with Rum added going...not sure who it was?

Having made a few bland/sharp TC's i'm gonna have a go and will keep you informed of progress.

I received a hand capping thingy for christmas and noted that someone had problems with flat brews- hoping i dont have that problem, although am a bit worried about bottle bombs...are real ale white and brown bottles ok to carb up without blowing up?!!

Cheers!

Bottled mine this week

It looked like fukashima cooling tower water and smelled like apple paint stripper but I had a sniffer while bottling and I was pretty impressed

Turbo cider - essentially the one listed in the first post.

It only smelled like paint stripper as I was sniffin 20 odd litres of the stuff :-)

Hi All,

Just taken a few hrs to read through the whole thread, very interesting developments!:thumb:

Definitely going to try the Robinsons brews and am interested in some nice variations on plain old TC - I love the idea of carbing with syrup/Raspberry syrup etc.

How has the one with Rum added going...not sure who it was?

Having made a few bland/sharp TC's i'm gonna have a go and will keep you informed of progress.

I received a hand capping thingy for christmas and noted that someone had problems with flat brews- hoping i dont have that problem, although am a bit worried about bottle bombs...are real ale white and brown bottles ok to carb up without blowing up?!!

Cheers!

It was great, rum with cloves and cinnamon
Ive still got 5 bottles left, it's much better now

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I can't find it at the moment. Can anyone give me a simple explanation of what the additives such as pectolase, malic acid, raisins, tannin etc bring to a cider.

I made about 20l of cider just before Christmas from supermarket apple juice and cider yeast. I did add some additional yeast (SO4) when it appeared to stick, and it finished below 1.000. It lacked sweetness, so I added more juice in order to back sweeten, and add even more apple flavour. I left this out for a few days (now in the sealed fermenter that it had been racked to) to carbonate. I then left this in the fridge at about 4*C. This was a very drinkable cider, and extremely clear, but I'm sure improvements can be made - hence the question about the additives.

Incidentally, I was able to pour directly from the tap of the fermenter for the whole of the 20l - no intake of air via the tap and the lid firmly shut. Carbonation was perfect (to my taste), and I can only guess that a small amount of fermentation may have continued to take place. Either that or my fermenter was about ready to explode when put in the fridge.

I am rapidly coming to the end of this cider and I would like to make some more, and hopefully improve on it. I would like to know, though, in which areas should I expect to see improvements by adding any of the common additives.

Got my first batch of TC on the go. Seems from all iv read you cant really go wrong with it. Looking forward to trying mine

I'd kind of gone off making TC as it was turning out a bit harsh even though I was adding honey, pineapple juice and all sorts so this sweet yeast sounds great and i'll have another go.

One question though, do you do anything to the raisins when you are adding them, or just chuck them in as they are?

I am sure Tonyhibbet (who has used them a lot) says he chops them up.

Hi,
What value, if any is there to adding raisins to a wine recipe? Because I see some wine recipes using the same fruit-some use raisins and some don't. Thanks for your information.
Bernie C.
----------
Hello Bernie C.
Thank you for the great question.
It's not unusual to find wine recipes that call for raisins, especially in some of the older wine making books that are geared more towards country style wines. Books such as, First Steps In Winemaking or, Winemakers' Recipe Handbook have several recipes that utilize raisins.
By design, country style wines are very full-bodied with a lot of fruity flavors. Most of them end up sweet as well. They can be made from anything from apricots to raspberries.
Raisins may be called for because they are an abundant source of body. They can improve the mouth-feel of the wine by increasing its viscosity. This gives the wine a heartier, overall impression. It also causes the fruit flavors to linger on the tongue longer, producing a fruitier impression.
Raisins also add a carmel element to the wine. This is an effect that is caused by the browning, oxidative effects of sun-drying the raisins. This is the same characteristic found in Ports or Sherrys. This can be an advantage or disadvantage depending on the type of wine and preference of the wine drinker. You can reduce this characteristic by using Muscat, or white raisins instead.
I hope this helps you out.
Best Wishes,
Customer Service at E. C. Kraus
- See more at: http://www.eckraus.com/blog/why-does-a-wine-recipe-call-for-raisins#sthash.RqRCxFAO.dpuf

I'd kind of gone off making TC as it was turning out a bit harsh even though I was adding honey, pineapple juice and all sorts so this sweet yeast sounds great and i'll have another go.

One question though, do you do anything to the raisins when you are adding them, or just chuck them in as they are?

What Tony said in a thread about raisins and sultanas.

Sultanas must be coarsely minced using a meat mincer in order to get the maximum extraction with minimum fine sediment, then strained after 3 days pulp fermentation. 250 g is the equivalent of a kilo of fresh grapes and yield the equivalent of 800 ml of juice.

What Tony said in a thread about raisins and sultanas.

Sultanas must be coarsely minced using a meat mincer in order to get the maximum extraction with minimum fine sediment, then strained after 3 days pulp fermentation. 250 g is the equivalent of a kilo of fresh grapes and yield the equivalent of 800 ml of juice.

Thanks for that :thumb:
Problem is lack of meat mincer, I wonder if I can put them through a blender :hmm:

Edit: Just found hand mincers on Ebay for a whole £1!

Thanks for that :thumb:
Problem is lack of meat mincer, I wonder if I can put them through a blender :hmm:

Edit: Just found hand mincers on Ebay for a whole ��£1!

�£39.99 postage and packing?:lol:

I don't have a meat mincer. I remember having one and giving it away when I left England. I haven't seen one in years. I roughly chopped the sultanas and threw them in the FV. Not a good idea. Too much mess. Next time I'm going to put them in a muslin bag.

Latest posts

Back