Turbo cider.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the help, I don't know why I couldn't find it, couldn't even see it on Ebay either. Got some ordered now so new recipe starts this week :smile:

I think the people were on holiday for a couple of weeks which seemed to hide their listing... I couldn't find them either for a bit

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Well we're up n running:

Yeast with sweetener
24l Value apple juice Tesco (the 1.5L are much cheaper).
1kg sugar
340 Honey
2 tsp Pectolase
5 T bags
500g Sultanas

Hydrometer 1070

In the past it's been a bit volcanic initially and I was worried i'd put too much in for the bucket (it was about an inch from the top) so put some into a DJ, however it turned out to be pretty tame for some reason (I know not why) so after a few days I put it all back in the bucket where it's happily bubbling away.
I put the Sultanas through the kitchen blender and straight in the mix and they seem to be floating, maybe that carpet of fruit is helping calm things or it's the excessive sugar content perhaps?
I was thinking of leaving the T bags in there for maximum effect, but didn't in the end, anyone tried this?

Next i'll rack off into DJs with more honey for secondary.
I'll let you know how it turns out in a few weeks/months.

9.2% whoosh, that'll put hairs on your chest 😀😀😀

Yes I like it strong, I'm not into quantity. :D
That's why i'm having problems with dryness.

Out of interest, how do you calculate that without an end figure? I always thought that you needed a start and finish number?

All the ciders I've made so far have finished at 1.000 😃

My Raspberry and Lime finished at 1.000 exactly...

You are right of course, although it's sunk to a couple of marks beyond 0 (it's done that before).

Fermentation has almost stopped in 4-5 days and it tastes ok, you can sense a dryness with some sweet over the top as you would expect. Due to the half Kg of sultanas it does taste a bit like wine too! It's a bit thin and lacking in body, but that will come with age I think.

I can see a potential issue with siphoning due to all the bits floating about, but will find a way around that easy enough, probably with muslin or something.

You could leave it a few more days/a week and the bits would probably settle

You are right of course, although it's sunk to a couple of marks beyond 0 (it's done that before).

Fermentation has almost stopped in 4-5 days and it tastes ok, you can sense a dryness with some sweet over the top as you would expect. Due to the half Kg of sultanas it does taste a bit like wine too! It's a bit thin and lacking in body, but that will come with age I think.

I can see a potential issue with siphoning due to all the bits floating about, but will find a way around that easy enough, probably with muslin or something.

I put chopped/mangled sultanas in a grapefruit brew I made. The bits stayed floating around for ages. In fact it's been in the garage for ages and hasn't cleared. I must try and track down some fining and try and get it finished off.

I think a muslin bag is definitely the way to go.

I put chopped/mangled sultanas in a grapefruit brew I made. The bits stayed floating around for ages. In fact it's been in the garage for ages and hasn't cleared. I must try and track down some fining and try and get it finished off.

I think a muslin bag is definitely the way to go.

Yes I had issues, I thought most of them had sunk to the bottom, but I don't think they'd gone that far and started getting sucked up or getting stuck. I managed to siphon all but about 4 litres out before resorting to just tipping the remainder out into a muslin lined funnel. This made a DJ full of cider about as clear as milk which I left for the worst to settle for a few days before racking it off again.
I'll either put them in a Muslin bag next time or find a way of putting the end of my siphon into some kind of mesh casing, I don't know if anything like that is available to buy.

I've had a bit of a think and 'Lobster pot spray gun filters' are what we need.

So I just add all this into a 30/35 litre tub mix then add this to 60 500ml bottles and forment for 21 days ??

Is that it ??

try adding passion fruit juice, its amazing. also i usually add a bit of lime juice to get the acidity up, give it a bit of bite

Stevesloan...

No mate,you want to leave the mix in the big container until it's fermented (about 10 days but get yourself a hydrometer)

Then you bottle it (adding some sugar if you want it to be fizzy)

Would explode if you bottled it from the start, apart from probably tasting pretty rank even if it didn't hehe

Shout if you need any help 😎

Latest posts

Back