Turbo cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig57

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Ive just made my first demi of turbo cider and i have to say its not bad at all. Ive let my sons have a try as they drink cider and confirm its not bad (coming from them its a compliment). The asked a question though which i dont know the answer to, they both asked what strength is it, my reply was i havent a bloody clue. Has anyone any ideas on how this is worked out? I used the 3 litres of apple and 1 litre of red grape juice, adding the t and other ingredients, then when placed in two 2 litre pep bottles i added 5 t spoons to each bottle?
Im clueless as to the strength only know it works and doesnt blow my head off.
Any help would be really appreciated.

The asked a question though which i dont know the answer to, they both asked what strength is it, my reply was i havent a bloody clue. Has anyone any ideas on how this is worked out? I used the 3 litres of apple and 1 litre of red grape juice, adding the t and other ingredients, then when placed in two 2 litre pep bottles i added 5 t spoons to each bottle?
You'll have to estimate, which I do a lot in my "single bottle" brewing. With a larger quantity, I'd use a hydrometer as desctibed all over the place.

So. Find out how much sugar was in your apple juice, grape juice (read the labels on the packaging, it's often written in "sugars per 100ml"), and remember how much sugar you added. Tot it all up. Then bung your total sugar and total volume of brew into a calculator such as Brewhaus Calculator- Alcohol Yield from Sugar (if there's a forum one, use that) and knock off 10-15% depending on whether you used a special wine yeast or juct chucked some baker's yeast in it. That's likely to be somewhere near it, assuming it stopped fermenting before it wass drunk!

You'll have to estimate, which I do a lot in my "single bottle" brewing. With a larger quantity, I'd use a hydrometer as desctibed all over the place.

So. Find out how much sugar was in your apple juice, grape juice (read the labels on the packaging, it's often written in "sugars per 100ml"), and remember how much sugar you added. Tot it all up. Then bung your total sugar and total volume of brew into a calculator such as Brewhaus Calculator- Alcohol Yield from Sugar (if there's a forum one, use that) and knock off 10-15% depending on whether you used a special wine yeast or juct chucked some baker's yeast in it. That's likely to be somewhere near it, assuming it stopped fermenting before it wass drunk!
Many thanks for the help, much appreciated..

Hello everyone,
Ive just made my first demi of turbo cider and i have to say its not bad at all. Ive let my sons have a try as they drink cider and confirm its not bad (coming from them its a compliment). The asked a question though which i dont know the answer to, they both asked what strength is it, my reply was i havent a bloody clue. Has anyone any ideas on how this is worked out? I used the 3 litres of apple and 1 litre of red grape juice, adding the t and other ingredients, then when placed in two 2 litre pep bottles i added 5 t spoons to each bottle?

Hi - a very slight thread resurrection!

Looking at the ASDA examples per 150ml the Pure Apple Juice has 15g of sugar and the Red Grape Juice has 24g, so quite a bit more.

That mixture of 3 litres apple juice and 1 litre red grape juice sounds quite interesting. Now we're a few months on, any updated view on how it turns out, especially compared to just using apple juice?

Back