Turbo Tuesday!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottE75

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Yesterday I knocked together 2 dj of apple cider, both a bit of an experiment. One had 125g of chopped sultanas, and one with a bit of acid because the juice was really sweet and I wanted to see if it would give it a bit of bite. I'm a bit green when it comes to HB, and I've got lots of different influences from books, the web and this forum, so I'm just having a bit of fun with it. I've definately been bitten by the HB bug!

5ltrs of Apple juice in each, 5 from aldi and 5 from ASDA (Aldi is by far the cheapest)
1 tsp pectic enzyme
125g of sultanas in one and 1 tsp of acid in the other
1 tsp of tannin ( I bought all the gubbins before I read on here that you can use stewed tea :doh:)
1 tsp of nutrient
1 tsp of Normal dried active yeast (2 pence a gram)

I rehydrated the yeast in warm water 30*c with 1 tsp of sugar. Wasn't expecting it to go as nuts as it did (see pic). Pitched it in and waited...and waited...nothing. Thought I'd done something wrong, until I got home from my GF's today, and the foam from the yeast has pushed through the air lock and all down the side, lol. Both of them are going nuts now. My elderflower bubbled a lot, but not as much as this cider. Happy days!

IMG_0979_zpsqe1cymxd.jpg

It's definitely addictive... making the stuff too 😃

I've always used dry yeast straight out of the packet, heard of other rehydrating the yeast like you have though. Does that just save an extra day for the yeast to activate in the FV ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Does that just save an extra day for the yeast to activate in the FV ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I don't know, but it started fast and furiously. I'm just doing things I've read, and making it up as I go, lol. Adding chopped sultanas to the one dj raised the SG by 0.010 and it's the more active of the two. I think the yeast really likes them.

One has slowed right down, but I don't think it's at it's final SG yet. Maybe I've done something wrong. I'll give it a couple of days, then check SG. The other is still going bonkers! One bubble every 3 seconds.

Just racked both dj of apple turbo. points to note - don't put sultanas in cos they get sucked up the syphon! I'm going to use a muslin bag for my sultana wine.
Not sure what I should have topped up with from what I lost in the lees, so I used apple juice...now they are bubbling again :doh:

I think these turbo ciders are more turbo scrumpy, but I'll still drink it, cos I'm hardcore!

Question: What do you top up with after racking?

Latest posts

Back