Turkey Curry...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long after Christmas day is it safe to eat leftover turkey, chicken etc?
A week. There's no room in the fridge so ours is out the shed and it's plenty cold enough. People who are babies about food do my head in.

One of my friends throws out what's left of a chinese takeaway if it doesn't get eaten! If I get up in the night it eat it out of the bin.

Iceland turkey crown with stuffing lasted 2 days and ended up doing the same again on boxing day only this time heating cold cuts up in gravy.
Co-Op is only 50yds away so the freezer is full of their last reductions for 23p usually. I tend to cook what they are about to throw out- so am saving their waste and saving some cash too, although the dinner choice is usually Hobsons.

When I lived in Lincoln I went to the turkey auctions. Big fresh bird - but God did it have stinky feet!

My mate (the one that throws out the chinese) has a turkey crown and I say if you're going to that lack of effort why not buy a packet of turkey slices and a packet of Bisto and get your mother to chew it for you. He seethes. You can see the steam coming off him.

Would love to grab your recipe for the Turkey and Ham pie please.
Left over ham and turkey cut up into morsels. Boiled turkey carcass on Christmas Day to make stock. Made a sauce with the stock and a butter/ flour roux. Good pinch of thyme, salt, pepper and softened onion added to sauce - I like the sauce nice and thick. Combine ham, turkey and sauce in a dish, top with shop bought puff pastry, sling in the oven @ fan 200 for half an hour. Job done, simples athumb..

five cats
You have five, eh? Nice. We've got three boys. From the nine o'clock position and going clockwise: Hogarth (3), Dashel (7), Crunch (10). I've another photo where they stared at the cupboard for two days straight because a mouse got in the house. Poor mouse!
3.jpg

Sort of on-topic: what are the best two or three recipes/dishes that feature curry? I like/love to cook and am a neophyte when it comes to curry. Curry seems to be a running theme in the UK. You all helped me out with fish batter not too far back. Just trying to learn something here. I appreciate the help.
Edit (some time later): Did I just say "neophyte"? I guess I was channeling Frasier Crane. It's not the worst word but I could have just said I'm new. Apologies for everyone!

Last edited:
How long after Christmas day is it safe to eat leftover turkey, chicken etc?
Thoroughly cooked and kept covered in the fridge, I would say at least a week, It's the raw meat which contains the dangerous bacteria and they should be all killed in cooking. If you then make a curry or a stew, the food will be sterilised again.

This is a very basic but tasty curry sauce that I have used in the past.

Basic Curry Sauce

Basic curry sauce recipe to which you can add diced chicken or lamb or anything really...this is without the whole spices, so it's as simple as it gets:

Ingredients:
2 TBSPS oil (whichever type you prefer)
1 medium onion chopped
1 tsp cumin powder
2 tsp coriander powder
quarter tsp turmeric powder
chilli powder to taste.
2 tsp garlic&ginger paste
1 tsp salt
2 fresh green chillies (optional)
2 TBSPS tomato puree or half a can of tinned tomatoes
1 TBSP Yoghurt

Heat up the oil, and then gently brown the onions...take your time, they have to be a nice golden colour..don't rush it and don't burn them.

When the onions are nicely browned, add the garlic&ginger paste and quickly fry for a minute..then add the powdered spices one at a time, frying each for a minute or so.

When the spices and the oil are well mixed and don't look "powdery"..add the tomatoes and then reduce the heat and add the yoghurt, keep stirring so the mixture doesn't stick.

Then you can add your diced chicken, lamb or chopped vegetables, and a little water if the mixture looks too thick..put in your green chillies too if you're using them. I leave the chillies whole but prick them with a fork so the flavour is released without the hot seeds being in the sauce...but you could just chop them up if you want it hotter.

When your meat is done..sprinkle a handful of fresh coriander (cilantro) and serve with plain rice.

The UK also has BIR (British Indian Restaurant) curries, which are still the most popular style. A bit like TexMex is to mexican food. A lot of those dishes use a base gravy . I never make this at home as glasgow has so many good BIR places so tend to try curries at home that they wouldn't normally serve, but usually when a british person is talking curry this is what they mean. There's lots of youtube channels and a couple of forums where you can get lots of info on BIR curry

Last edited:
We have another xmas lunch on boxing day with the leftovers and had
turkey Madras last night.

Curry recipes...what style do you like?
Ooooo, @Clint. All of themwink...

My fav is Ras el Hanout (top North African shop blend) especially if it has citrus peel and lavender,,,, Otherwise Thai with loads of coconut lemongrass, kafir lime leaves and fresh green chilli's often with fresh pineapple and any fish/prawns. But as well there is Zaatar spice blend (with plenty sumac) or Japanese 7 spice blend; Shichi-mi tōgarashi (more citrus) I just buy fresh from ebay if we can't get away.

However, off visiting family next week in the North East then Glasgow hopefully for consultant sign off on my hip and a trip to Strawberry Gardens https://strawberry-garden.business.site/ it's the best we have found (Although Mathews is great as well https://www.matthewsfoods.co.uk/|) Glasgow has it all!! Even better than Newcastle west end for quality spice supplies:hat:

Leftover turkey will do a week in the fridge if it was not left out for too long after Christmas dinner. But only if you keep your fridge at 5C or better 4C. Eight hours in the danger zone of 4C to 65C should be the limit and that's from the first time it came out of a fridge. Times are cumulative. It's best to keep it covered as well.

I've gone one on right now. I've got loads of jars of madras and I've added coconut and fish sauce to it as an experiment. And probably too many chilli flakes. I don't mind if it's **** because I've just gobbled down a load of scallops that were reduced from 6 quid to 90p, and some smoked salmon.

I'm stuffed before I start.

Back