Turning excess cider in to vinegar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBlindHarper

Reaction score
When racking my cider in the secondary, I am going to have perhaps 2 pints of excess apple cider. I was thinking of attempting to make some apple cider vinegar?
Could anyone give me a quick run-down? I've tried googling it, but I can't find any resources that answer all my questions.

If it makes any odds, the cider had
Apple juice
1 cup Dextrose
1 cup caster sugar
Yeast nutrient
Nottingham ale yeast

As its already fermented I don't think so, the last one I made I used peel and the apple cores with the yeast already on the apples.

Do be aware that cultivating acetobacter in your winemaking area could lead to contamination issues in the future.
Personally i would keep winemaking and vinegar making well apart.
Not saying it CANT be done,But i wont risk it.

Do be aware that cultivating acetobacter in your winemaking area could lead to contamination issues in the future.
Personally i would keep winemaking and vinegar making well apart.
Not saying it CANT be done,But i wont risk it.
Actually read a good article about this, (not a wine maker) but when tested, wines which were advertised as being fermented by wild yeast, they were actually the house yeast which had done the fermentation. So the house yeast was the predominant yeast in the winery.
I have often thought about wild yeast getting into my beer as I brew and pitch yeast only meters from my apple trees and even closer to my Feijoa tree which I know will be covered in wild yeast strains. Never happened yet but always a possibility, then again our clothes and body is covered by wild yeast, so probably not worth thinking about.

Actually read a good article about this, (not a wine maker) but when tested, wines which were advertised as being fermented by wild yeast, they were actually the house yeast which had done the fermentation. So the house yeast was the predominant yeast in the winery.
I have often thought about wild yeast getting into my beer as I brew and pitch yeast only meters from my apple trees and even closer to my Feijoa tree which I know will be covered in wild yeast strains. Never happened yet but always a possibility, then again our clothes and body is covered by wild yeast, so probably not worth thinking about.
Yeast is all around and the only reason our house yeast doesn't take over is purely because of quantity at the time of pitching...

I know I am reviving an old post but I am going to answer OP and this thread was top of my search list and is not answered

To make vinegar just add acetic acid bacteria to any non distilled alcohol. This is also known as the "mother" . It's a cloudy white and can form a film disc. This is generally in the air around your house. However just go to Holland and barrett or waitrose and buy an organic vinegar with the mother and add a tablespoon to any alcohol as you'll get a known flavour rather than the random one in your house.

Leave it a month with an airlock and your done. Mix with lemon juice and toss on salads. I you like the flavour try to keep the mother alive.

Do not do this anywhere close to where you are brewing. Do not touch any brewing equipment. Be sure to be extra careful when sterilising your brewing equipment.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back