Tusker anyone heard of it

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin01041961

Reaction score
My very dear brewing friends , has anyone ever heard of the brew "Tusker" i hav'nt but a friend in work tells me it's an old brew which is stunning to the taste :pray:

So if anyone has heard of it and would know the recipe let me know :drink:

I would imagine it will be a hard one to replicate, most commercial african beers are made with sorghum, in place of barley malt, & if it is i wouldn't want to go through a mash with sorghum,& you would never clear the finished beer without filtration.

UP

I'm sure I was drinking something called Tusker whilst in Kenya a few years back. Standard euro-fizz lager if I reemember correctly.

Take me back to Mombasa :cheers: I remember it well. When I was stationed in Aden with the 10th Hussars (1964/65) we were sent there on two weeks leave. Drank it every day :roll: Served in flagons if I remember correctly.

Hi :cheers: thanks all well i've found it but know nothing about it! so is it worth replicating it?

but to you all my thanks :thumb: :clap:

It is absolutely worth replicating. I used to go to a pub off the Portobello Road that sold it, and it was delicious - slightly citrous with a faint smokey finish. I've been trying to emulate it by smoking some steeped malted barley with oak chips, drying it in the oven then milling it and adding it to the grist in small quantities. This is just guesswork, and although it makes a very pleasant beer, it's a mere shadow of the real thing. I'd love to find a recipe for it.

Ive been to kenya twice, 12-13 weeks in total. Tusker was the main drink out there and had loads of it. I took some "proper" cans out with me the latest time (Jan 12) and compared tusker to it and yes tusker can only be described as **** water, and that is in comparison with carling. Its nice when your out there but wouldnt drink it when there are decent alternatives. Whilst out there we discovered two more drinks Red Lion Pilsner and White Cap which i think are both by the same brewery (East African Breweries) and I would much rather drink those to be honest but as with anything its down to personal taste. I see waitrose and some tescos have started selling tusker for £1.99ish a bottle. Still doesnt beat the 60p a bottle in Kenya - the untouristy parts

Fond memories of drinking Tusker when on holiday in Tanzania and Kenya a few years back. A real good beer to have whilst chilling and watching the sun set after a long day on safari. Not sure if it would taste as good whilst sat in England whilst its pissing it down outside though... :grin:

Latest posts

Back