Tweaking a Bock Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlentoranMark

Landlord.
Reaction score
I done a Muntons Bock Beer kit last month with just normal sugar and followed the instructions to a tee.

This month, I'd like to make the same beer but tweak it by using brewing sugar, medium spray malt and brew enhancer. I'm unsure of what percentage of each to use or whether I should use all 3.

Has anyone any suggestions? The kit requires 1kg of sugar so I'd like to keep it to the same strength.

I really want to see how much of a difference it makes compared to the sugared beer.
http://www.houseofhomebrew.co.uk/beer-kits/muntons-beer/muntons-connoisseurs-bock-bier-kit

Spray malt to sugar is a 1:1 ratio, spraymalt to liquid malt is 1:1.2 Ratio. Brew Enhancer is a blend of spraymalt and dextrose (corn sugar) so its a 1:1 ratio.

Spray malt to sugar is a 1:1 ratio, spraymalt to liquid malt is 1:1.2 Ratio. Brew Enhancer is a blend of spraymalt and dextrose (corn sugar) so its a 1:1 ratio.

Thanks for that, I didn't know about brew enhancer.

I've 500g of medium spray malt so I'll add that to 500g of brewing sugar and keep the brew enhancer for my next beer.

I'll use this thread to keep track of its progress.

I'm really enjoying the first batch I made even though it's pretty young. It won't survive until maturity :-) I primed it with very little sugar so it doesn't have much fizz but the bottles are pretty clear and it doesn't taste yeasty.

I made this last month and had the first bottle last night. Made with Enhancer, brewed short to 20L, and dry-hopped with a little Hallertau just to give it a bit of a lift.

Came out lovely. Hard to describe, just a very nice dark lager - I mainly make bold hoppy beers so it's nice to have something a bit blander for a change., Vastly unde-rated kit IMHO, second time I've made it.

I was in Prague last month and visited a pub called U Fleku. They brewed their own dark lager and it was this that got me back into brewing. I've found a recipe for it online but it's all grain and beyond my means and skill level. The bock beer is as close as I can find to it in kit form although I'll have to try Oranje Bock for a future brew.

Beers of this type are also known as a Dunkel or dark lager and are delicious. I'd also quite a few pints of Velkopopovický Kozel which is another really nice brew. I'd like, some day, to be able to brew beers of this quality.

If anyone ever gets the chance, Prague is a beer fans ultimate dream.

I'm thinking of making a Porter, IPA or bitter for my next brew for variety but I will come back to this style of beer.

Latest posts

Back