Two 15min Extract Brews Today

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimp2003

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

A few things came together today that led me to do a couple of small batch extract brews. Firstly I had a few hours to spare unexpectedly. Secondly I had some bought some cheap dried extract from The Home Brew Company (Ireland). And thirdly I had a couple of packs of hops that needed used up.

So I took some inspiration from a BasicBrewing podcast were James Spencer did an extract brew with just a 15min boil.

I was looking to produce two 12l batches one hopped with 100g of Cluster and one with 100g of Bramling Cross.

I heated the full volume of water for both batches in my electrim boiler that I usually use as the HLT when I all-grain brew. I added 200g each of 60L Crystal and carapils and 30g of Black Malt to steep in muslin bags as the water heated and took them out when the temp hit 76C.

Half of this liquor was then measured into my boiler (a stainless pot on a gas ring) and 1.5kg of light DME was added. Once the boil was reached the first addition (40g) of Cluster was added along with the immersion chiller. Ten minutes later 30g of cluster went in and then the last 30g went in at flameout.

Chilled down and sprinkled on a pack of S04.

After a quick rinse round of the kettle and chiller the process was repeated with the Bramling Hops. I used the same additions as the AA of the two hops was quite close and it kept things simple.

So I ended up with two batches at about 1.047-1.049 with the IBUs in the mid 30s and colour of about 25 EBC. I was having such a chilled out time I didn't even bother to take any hydro readings :cool:

It was such an easy and laid back process compared to my all-grain brewdays when I take plenty of readings and notes but it suited my mood. If the beer turns out well I might look to do more of these...

Sometimes simple is more rewarding. Like the Back to basics brews so much fun not having to worry about things :D

As both of these have been fermenting for a week I thought I better take some samples. The Cluster brew has been in the temp controlled fridge and the Bramling Cross has been in the study with a fleece over it.

Both samples look identical as you would expect. Both samples have finished at 1.010 so I guess they are done. I will probably try to bottle this week sometime or next weekend at the latest.

Unfortunately I put both samples in the same type of glass, got distracted and then forgot which was which :wha: .

The good news is both taste and smell very nice indeed. Aromawise there is a fruitiness from both hops and both brews have a slight caramel note. The bitterness is a bit more pronounced on one which I would guess is the cluster as the AA was slightly higher than the bramling cross but we will see how they turn out in a few weeks....

Sounds ok, i bought some cluster but hav'nt tried them yet, have you used them before and how are they. :cheers:

I wouldn't like to say what the cluster are like just yet as I got the samples of the two brews mixed up. I always leave any judgement until the beer is conditioned. Both brews did have a berry fruit arome to them though.

Back