Types of corn

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I but fresh cracked corn my my local brew supplier, but not sure what type it is.( I think its super sweet ) Only use it when making spirits.

Who brews with flaked corn or malted corn or corn syrup or corn sugar or pop corn?
Looking through my inventory, I see I've got a kilo of flaked maize that I ordered for a recipe and I can't remember what it was. I think it was a Greg Hughes. Thanks for reminding me, I'll look it up.

I use flaked maize, quite a bit, some of the best English ale have flaked maize in the recipe. Reminds me of a crossword my wife was doing, the question was Maya word for corn, 5 letters, my wife answered 'sweet' bless her.

I use good old cereal breakfast corn flakes and microwave rice in my kolsch/lager clones
I knew about cornflakes, but understood that rice had to be gelatinised first. Does microwave rice not need this? I was looking at the recipe for Japanese lager in Greg Hughes and decided not to do it as the flaked rice costs £2 FOR 50Og, which seemed excessive. What's microwave rice anyway? Is it the stuff that comes partly cooked and cooks in 10 minutes?

Last edited:
I knew about cornflakes, but understood that rice had to be gelatinised first. Does microwave rice not need this? I was looking at the recipe for Japanese lager in Greg Hughes and decided not to do it as the flaked rice costs £2 FOR 50Og, which seemed excessive. What's microwave rice anyway? Is it the stuff that comes partly cooked and "non-stick"?
HI AA i use the quick cook microwave rice which is basically pre-cooked so is gelatinised as you said. The aldi one is about 49p a 500g pack it seems to work well with the corn flakes to mimic a cheap macro lager type for the normal non craft drinkers. Just watch for a stuck mash with the corn flakes though so stir well or add oat husks if using a large amount

just to clarify the rice needs to be the 2 minute microwave type as it is pre-cooked and you are just reheating it. I use either the Basmat or plain Long grain from Aldi so just under a pound a kilo

Back