Typhoon Hagibis

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
So whos brillaint idea was it to hold the world cup in typhoon season?

What months are typhoon season in Japan?
Typhoon Season. Typhoons in Japan occur the most from July to October, especially in August and September. According to Japan Meteorological Agency, about 25 typhoons occur and 11 approach a year on average in the past thirty years.7 Jul 2018

BBC news -

Scottish Rugby believes it has a legal case against the game's governing body as it seeks to ensure their decisive World Cup match with Japan goes ahead.

The game in Yokohama is under threat amid concerns over Typhoon Hagibis.

World Rugby will do an inspection of the stadium at 22:00 BST on Saturday, with a decision expected within two hours about whether it will be played.

It has already cancelled two Saturday games and declared them a draw - a repeat would mean Scotland's exit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50011693

I wonder how quick they would be to abandon the game, if it was the hosts, who needed the win to qualify?

As an accident of birth, I have been following the fortunes of Scottish "fitba" and rugby for over 50 years now. mainly disappointments, to be fair.

The pictures on the TV suggest that the game against Japan may not be played tomorrow and if the organisers say it is not feasible to play the game, then that is the decision.

At the end of the day, Rugby is only a game. But that is it. Just a game. I love it, but it is scarcely the worst moment following Scottish rugby. That would be Feb 24th 2007. After 6 minutes and 40 seconds on the clock, a new and expansive game plan had delivered 3 (count them, one, two, three) interception passes in midfield to give the Sergio Parisse inspired Italians an insurmountable 0-21 lead.

Sometimes, we need to get a grip and accept that sport is just sport and a diversion from the lives we actually have to lead.

Matters little that it is us Scottish born, or otherwise.

Last edited:
Sometimes, we need to get a grip and accept that sport is just sport and a diversion from the lives we actually have to lead.

I agree that sport is just sport but a lot of fans spend their hard earned travelling to watch their sport and its not cheap as you know, the question in my OP was "So whos brilliant idea was it to hold the world cup in typhoon season" surely that wasn't a good decision and as mmmbeer says "I wonder how quick they would be to abandon the game, if it was the hosts, who needed the win to qualify" which is a good question.

To give some context here, typhoons do hit Japan every October but they're rarely anywhere near as destructive as Hagibis. I lived in Tokyo for four years and in that time there were no typhoons that would compare to the couple of bad 'uns that have hit this year. Every country has its weather events and natural disasters, it'd be unfair to withhold Japan's opportunity to run a World Cup based on the possibility of bad weather.

Back