Typical Crystal?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattHudds

Reaction score
Hello,

I used a LHBS for the ingredients for my first all grain brew a few months back. I just asked for some 'crystal' malt, and was handed a 500g package saying exactly that. Now I'm planning a second recipe, and all the calculators have multiple crystal malts, with numbers of L's. Am I right in thinking this is a colour measurement?

Anyway, I've plenty of my original package left over, so wondered, a) is there any way of knowing what I have (e.g. is there something that's likely to be 'standard') and c) will it actually make much difference?

Thanks.

No, not a sausage. Just a clear plastic packet with a plain white sticker - 'CRYSTAL 500g'.

For some reason I always think of a standard Crystal malt as being Crystal 100 (which probably won’t be exactly 100EBC), but I think I’ve probably just made that up along the way...

The only way to be sure is to give the LHBS a call and ask them if they know (and they really should).

Take a few grams and place in hot water to see what colour this gives and should then give you a rough estimate using a color chart.
Color-Based-800x691.jpg

L stands for Lovibond which is a measure of colour, EBC is approximately 3 times the Lovibond number.
Three crystal malts
Pale 50-70 EBC
Medium 120-140
Dark 200-240

Medium is the most common and usually just labelled Crystal. Crystal malts can also be called Caramel.

Not sure that will work? A medium crystal is about 100 EBC but don't think it will yield something blacker than stout.

@matthuds do you have decent pic?

Crystal was always sold in the UK as "Crystal" and would have been about 150 EBC. When the Americans stomped on the home-brew market they introduced us to a wide range of crystal malts which the UK manufacturers obligingly released to the home market. In the UK we measure the colour in European units, "EBC", which is similar to the American "SRM" units x2. Similar, but not the same definition wise, so it isn't always "x2". And in America they tend to describe malt colour in "Lovibond" which is about the same as SRM, but not quite ... you know the rest!

Not to be out done, The UK market introduce "average" colours, so we had medium (what was always the "usual" crystal), Dark and Extra-dark. But Crisp decided to call their "medium" "light". "Light" describes 100EBC for other manufacturers.

Confusion all-round! Try to avoid some solutions which involves shipping crystal from overseas at great expense, simply because they offer it in "Lovibond" (L) which is now a common descriptor 'cos the Americans currently produce most available documented recipes.

Consider 150 EBC as "average" (75 SRM, 50 °L; roughly!) and go from there, going up for darker (about 400EBC top of range) and go down for lighter (below 50 EBC it tends to be called something else, like "caramalt", etc.).

@Gerryjo I would also say it's about 17 on the reference image above when popping a bit in some hot water. Thanks again.

Not to be out done, The UK market introduce "average" colours, so we had medium (what was always the "usual" crystal), Dark and Extra-dark. But Crisp decided to call their "medium" "light". "Light" describes 100EBC for other manufacturers.

I forgot this when i recently ordered crisp medium crystal, put some into my bitter last week and it tastes like dark toffee. Lovely malt and i was happy putting it into the beer but perhaps not what most people think of as medium crystal.

Notice the extra dark bits in it, almost makes me think its a mix of grades and they dont malt a medium on its own

For some reason I always think of a standard Crystal malt as being Crystal 100 (which probably won’t be exactly 100EBC), but I think I’ve probably just made that up along the way...

The only way to be sure is to give the LHBS a call and ask them if they know (and they really should).
It's a nightmare. I always considered crystal to be 135 ebc and now I get something closer to 150 ebc from Geterbrewed, which they refer to as LIGHT crystal. At BrewUK thew Warminster 135 ebc is (unqualified) crystal and the 100 ebc is LOW COLOUR. Then there are darker grades including a DOUBLE ROAST at 300 ebc, I think by Simpsons, while other crystals around that colour are dark and the THBC does a BLACK crystal at 400, which is similar to EXTRA DARK from other suppliers.
My rule of thumb is that ORDINARY or UNQUALIFIED crystal is 135-150 ebc.
Many hours old. Forgot to hit "post".
At least my beer works!!

I think my two lots of Crisp crystal,from Malt Miller,are labelled as 60 and 150...I generally use the 60 in an IPA and the other will go in darker beer,but...I do sometimes just put what I have in..or mix them.

Excellent thread lads never knew what the ebc meant
Now I know what to get in my next order

Latest posts

Back