Ufo

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakeyboi

Landlord.
Reaction score
As the title says unidentified floating object. :)

But seriously I was moving some beers around when I noticed some thing floating on the top of my beer, this has been in the bottles for 9 weeks now. It's really hard to see it's like a clear white film but it doesn't cover the entire surface area. It is only on the surface it hasn't started growing tenticles....yet. Beer still tastes good, is this normal and I've only noticed because it's in clear glass?

57FB7E9C-DC65-49E0-8A74-13DE4B30679D.jpg

BEA859E7-85B4-407E-9445-AA36C036CE2E.jpg

I had it in an FV of mild once but I just racked from below and left the pellicle in the FV, but you've got it in your bottles. If it doesnt affect the taste,if it was me, I'd just carry on drinking the beer.
Your going to need to sterilize (not sanitize but sterilze) the bottles if you want to re-use them. The easiest way to do this is ovening them. I do this as standard once I've poured a beer rinsed the bottle and have enough bottles to fill the oven
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=54300

I had it in an FV of mild once but I just racked from below and left the pellicle in the FV, but you've got it in your bottles. If it doesnt affect the taste,if it was me, I'd just carry on drinking the beer.
Your going to need to sterilize (not sanitize but sterilze) the bottles if you want to re-use them. The easiest way to do this is ovening them. I do this as standard once I've poured a beer rinsed the bottle and have enough bottles to fill the oven
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=54300

Thanks myqul, I will keep drinking until it tastes bad. I am going to bake my bottles in the oven from now on, it seems easier to do this on bottling day than faffing with sanitizer etc.

Thanks myqul, I will keep drinking until it tastes bad. I am going to bake my bottles in the oven from now on, it seems easier to do this on bottling day than faffing with sanitizer etc.

I do both. I oven my bottles when I have enough to fill the oven, then put a cling film 'cap'on then store them away. Then when it comes to bottling day I use a bottle rinser full of starsan. Bit of a belt and braces man, me :mrgreen:

Give em a good scrum aswell with a bottle brush.. If you have something like VWP soak em in that..

I woudl do that rinse..then oven.. (then sanitise) :oops: same with your fermenter too just incase.. I know its a bit OTT but better safe

edit do not roast your FV!!! :lol:

Give em a good scrum aswell with a bottle brush.. If you have something like VWP soak em in that..

I woudl do that rinse..then oven.. (then sanitise) :oops: same with your fermenter too just incase.. I know its a bit OTT but better safe

edit do not roast your FV!!! :lol:

How big's your oven Rich? I couldn't fit an FV in mine if I wanted to. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back