UK & IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember a TV series a year or so ago about people making a new start in France. This guy (keen amateur brewer) retired early from his job and started a micro brewery in a little central France village making English ales, bitter and stouts. The locals went mad for it and he was kept very busy trying to keep up with demand from locals and further afield.
He had a commercial brewery in Kent proir to moving to France, yes the locals really went for his beers

Hi Keiron,
IPA is still popular here in addition to Carling , Peroni etc.

I would suggest that teenagers go for lager and the older crowd go for the ones with more flavour eg. IPA or dark beer

Thanks

That's the argument I'm trying to make but the owners think people only want IPA and Sours right now. My two least favorite types of beer.

We've recently started a new craft brewing enterprise in Austria. Our launch beer is a hefeweizen. Why? First and foremost, we wanted to brew what we like to drink and none of us much like hop forward beers. Secondly, we looked at the craft beer market here and there really weren't any good hefeweizens. There were a few half hearted attempts that we didn't think tasted very good. Even the big breweries are bringing our wheat beers that are a mixed bag in terms of enjoyment. Heineken have just started pushing their Edelweiss products internationally, and yet that's not a great example of the type.

Anyway, we've only just started, but the feedback has pretty much been overwhelmingly positive. We have our first keg in a local pub and it's selling reasonably well. The wheat beer drinking market is never going to be as big as the lager drinking market, but if we can completely capture that wheat beer segment, then I think we're good. Why would we try to compete with all the IPAs?

Thinking about the shelves at my local Tesco, you've got the usal suspects lager-wise and then 'ale' seems split into three; big brewers, a few (generally very good) small traditonal brewers (Bath Ales and Oakham) spring to mind and then 'craft' which, is mostly IPA/NEIPA (at least 20 from different brewers) with the odd pastry stout, gose, porter or stout. By 'craft' I include Brewdog and Northern Monk.

Pub-wise, the closest pubs are the usual lagers I can drink at home (though one used to have a selection of 'real ale' including John Smiths on handpull). I've only been in once (just after lockdown) since the previous landlord died and it's been refurbished and no real ale on that night and the manager didn't fill me with confidence, so decided it was pointless and know take a 40 minute bus journey and walk to a great micro pub which has six gravity poured casks, at least two craft keg/Belgian beers and lots of ciders and bottles. The sell thirds too, so can generally try every beer in one evening.

Last edited:
I remember a TV series a year or so ago about people making a new start in France. This guy (keen amateur brewer) retired early from his job and started a micro brewery in a little central France village making English ales, bitter and stouts. The locals went mad for it and he was kept very busy trying to keep up with demand from locals and further afield.
Can you remember what channel it was on and what it was called? Would like to see that

Last edited:
Cheers for that will take a look; been thinking of buying a place in France as a second home when I retire next year. Whilst not setting up a brewery would definately be homebrewing and sharing with connections is an idea

Lager is still the overwhelmingly large slice of the pie when it comes to numbers. Hard Seltzers will no doubt start to creep in soon.

"Craft" beer wise it's all haze for days.

Currently I've a Stone Adnams IPA (8.5%) in one fermenter, a Festbier in another, a keg of Bohemian Pilsner, a keg of My House Double IPA (8.5%) and a keg of 5 Points Best Bitter on the Beer engine. I like all beers apart from about 90% or sours and milkshale IPAs.

Latest posts

Back