UK National Homebrew Competition

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braindead

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just a few questions regarding this if anyones clued up on BJCP Style Guidelines
Im entering my Maple Glazed Coconut Macaroon Stout aged on Rum Oak.

Should I enter this into the
22C. Wood-Aged Beer

Also are adding things like coconut, cacao nibs, vanilla, etc frowned upon and do I have to list them?
Also do you add the ABV somewhere.
Thx

https://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf

this should tell you everything that you have to comply with to meet the "style" for the beer you have entered. If its in the style guide then its all good. And in your case (like the categories i am entering) it relates to the base style (porter/pale ale etc) and that is where you get the OG/FG and SRM standards from you have to follow. That in addition to the special additions and information you have to provide related to your beer for such a category as the wood aged beer.

As far as recipe i think you are encouraged to list any "special adjuncts" that you have used as the judges will need to consider that in overall with the beer "style".

Last edited:
Nice one cheers Hoddy, Ill have a nosey now, don't fancy getting disqualified

I think when it’s booze wood as opposed to just wood then you ‘should’ use the speciality wood beer sub category. Given all the other ingredients you’ve got in there that also makes sense to me as a speciality beer. I think more experienced competition brewers would also say that if you can’t taste the wood then don’t declare it.

It sounds amazing by the way!

Just found it here.
33B. Specialty Wood-Aged Beer

Its this one I'm entering but an amped up version

1. 34A. Clone Beer

This style is intended for reproductions of specific commercial beers that aren’t good representations of existing styles. The use of the word clone does not imply an exact copy; it implies an interpretation of a style represented by a specific beer that does not have a defined style within the guidelines. The beer should be judged as to how well it fits the broader style represented by the example beer, not how well it is an exact copy of a specific commercial product. If a ‘clone beer’ does fit another style, do not enter it here.

Overall Impression: Based on declared clone beer.Aroma: Based on declared clone beer.Appearance: Based on declared clone beer.Flavor: Based on declared clone beer.

Mouthfeel: Based on declared clone beer.
    Comments: Intended as a catch-all location for specific beers

that are based on unique commercial examples that don’t fit existing styles.
    Entry Instructions: The entrant must specify the name of the commercial beer being cloned, specifications (vital statistics) for the beer, and either a brief sensory description or a list of ingredients used in making the beer. Without this information, judges who are unfamiliar with the beer will have no basis for comparison.

Vital Statistics: OG, FG, IBUs, SRM and ABV will vary depending on the declared beer.
    Tags: specialty-beer

Latest posts

Back