UK National Homebrew Competition

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They had to make up a whole new category of aroma for my AIPA :laugh8::vomitintoilet: :laugh8:
upload_2019-2-22_17-44-8.png

Any idea what happened Dan? Do you reckon it was a rogue bottle or do you recognise the issue?

I was fairly happy with the comments on mine, some of the flaws highlighted I recognise and would diagnose differently but flaws are flaws!

Any idea what happened Dan? Do you reckon it was a rogue bottle or do you recognise the issue?

I was fairly happy with the comments on mine, some of the flaws highlighted I recognise and would diagnose differently but flaws are flaws!

He didn't have enough time to brew so scoped out the slops tray at his local.

* I am only kidding and @dan125 knows that

As with the scores on both of my beers. No flaws or anything wrong with them. Both actually had "i would drink all of this" on them. But they were not "to style" and got marked down because of it.

I can live with that.

The other judge described it as vegetal, which I think is fair - which makes it the 2nd hoppy brew in a row with the same issue. The 1st I was sure was down to the hops , as they smelt very vegetal before I put them in. Think I only have myself to blame this time though as the hops seemed OK. I'll be interested to see if my current brew is the same when it comes out the FS tomorrow.
So its back to the AIPA drawing board for me - to see if I can set a new record low score in the LAB comp :laugh8:

The other judge described it as vegetal, which I think is fair - which makes it the 2nd hoppy brew in a row with the same issue. The 1st I was sure was down to the hops , as they smelt very vegetal before I put them in.

you dry hopping? how much and for how long? pellet or whole? if flame out, how long you steeping for?

you dry hopping? how much and for how long? pellet or whole? if flame out, how long you steeping for?

Based on feedback from the previous comp I'm upped the hopping level a bit and it was a pretty big 10g/L dry hop - in for a few days at 12C then cold crashed, maybe a week in total.
I did 'experiment' with a 2min addition followed by chilling straight down, instead of a 75C 30min whirlpool addition - maybe this is the culprit??

EDIT - I use leaf hops in the kettle and pellets for dry hopping

i'd maybe knock it down to 6-8g/L. I know the "big boys" seem to get away with stupid dry hop levels, but if I go above 8, i get some grassiness. There are diminishing returns above that amount anyhow.

i'd maybe knock it down to 6-8g/L. I know the "big boys" seem to get away with stupid dry hop levels, but if I go above 8, i get some grassiness. There are diminishing returns above that amount anyhow.
Thanks - I'm already planning my comeback AIPA recipe and will tone the hops back down as you suggest.

I've not received mine yet but there's been no word on the FB page in fairness. I suspect they'll get them out this week.

Just checked FB and the organiser as confirmed medals are in the post today. Have to say, fantastic organisational display from these guys - first time running the comp too since the previous organiser moved away. Puts Brew Con 'World Series' to shame.

Latest posts

Back