UK NEIPA + nice detailed recipes! - Pellicle Mag

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting article, and the results sound great thumb.

The only thing I would add that I am increasingly aware of, is that the regionality of beer could be related to water perhaps? It is certainly the case with the Burtonisation of water to brew english IPA and the soft water required for continental lagers.

Does this extend elsewhere?

Is there a typical water profile for NEIPAs?

Just made a Harlequin single hop NEIPA, and it is incredible! Didn't follow the pellicle recipe exactly, brewed my usual way.
Incredible aroma from this, and incredibly juicy. I get passion fruit, pineapple, and mango.
Like the article says, I'd mix this with something else to add another dimension (Azacca maybe), but I am on no way disappointed with this beer.
English hops ftw.

I love the look at this and really fancy giving it ago but, as an NEIPA newbie, I have a couple of questions regarding the recipe in the link.

200g Harlequin/Olicana/Opus/Mystic Dry Hop for 2 weeks at secondary fermentation

1. It states secondary, but doesn't mention the primary. Is it assumed primary would be about a week, then transfer to secondary for two weeks, dry hopping immediately and leaving for the duration?

2. Is it strictly necessary to have a primary and secondary fermentation? I can transfer oxygen-free from primary to keg, but not via a secondary and I understand that remaining oxygen-free is critical with a NEIPA.

3. It suggests dry-hopping for two weeks, but I was under the impression that dry-hopping for over four days or so was generally a bad idea due to the introduction of grassy notes. Is this not relevant with a NEIPA?

Thanks for any advice 🙂

Primary takes as long as it takes, mine was 10 days, as it had wlp644, a slow finisher. Most will be done in a week.

Secondary is definitely not necessary for a NEIPA (is it for any beer??) but as you say completely closed transfers are absolutely paramount.

I go for 3 days for dry hops, got some hop burn with this amount but this went within 24 hours of burst carbonating. Watch out for diacetyl with large amounts of dry hops (due to hop creep). I drop mine to 15°c post fermentation to dry hop.

In general dry hopping for 1-2 weeks will not cause grassy notes, but there's nothing to really gain beyond 4 days.

Here is my harlequin NEIPA.

Attachments

• IMG20220403185906.jpg
    IMG20220403185906.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 26
Thanks so much for your reply, @AJA.

So essentially, If I ferment out in primary, drop to 15C and dry hop in primary for 3-4 days and then just transfer to keg, oxygen-free, and condition for a couple of weeks, that would have a similar outcome?

Sounds good, I wouldn't say weeks though. NEIPAs like to be drank fresh!

Can anyone share their method please of dry-hopping after fermentation has finished? Surely opening the fermenter and putting in the hops after fermentation completion will ruin the beer? I would like to do this also as that's what Verdant do, but I'm scared to do so because as the hops travel down through the beer, it will introduce oxygen. :confused:

I'm sure there are better ways of doing it, but I carefully open the keg, dump them in, close, and purge the headspace 7 times.

That's far too risky for me asad.

I've been meaning to try those food safe magnets, but haven't got round to it yet. Failing that for my next one I'll just pop them in when I'm a few points away from terminal gravity. Much safer. NEIPA's are too expensive to risk stuffing the whole brew up. So disappointing when it goes wrong.

That's far too risky for me asad.

I've been meaning to try those food safe magnets, but haven't got round to it yet. Failing that for my next one I'll just pop them in when I'm a few points away from terminal gravity. Much safer. NEIPA's are too expensive to risk stuffing the whole brew up. So disappointing when it goes wrong.

I can't think of a way using magnets that would stop hops getting wet before the intended dry hopping time, e.g. lots of water vapour in the keg. I thought about doing two closed transfers, I.e. one to dry hop and another to the serving vessel but can't make this work either. I'm aware my current process for dry hopping is the weak link.

Just made a Harlequin single hop NEIPA, and it is incredible! Didn't follow the pellicle recipe exactly, brewed my usual way.
Incredible aroma from this, and incredibly juicy. I get passion fruit, pineapple, and mango.
Like the article says, I'd mix this with something else to add another dimension (Azacca maybe), but I am on no way disappointed with this beer.
English hops ftw.
Hi there.
I’ve had the ingredients for a few months now waiting for the time to do this. I was wondering what your usual brew day is and are you using an all in one, 3 vessel it BIAB?
I’m hoping to do this in the next two days and thinking of changing the method a little and a new outlook would be great.
Cheers.

Latest posts

Back