UK pub numbers rise for the first time in a decade

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Its nice to read that the number of pubs is on the increase after years of closures we have lost several here i hope the ones left can survive.

The number of UK pubs and bars increased for the first time in a decade during 2019, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

The total number rose by 315, or 0.8%, last year to 39,130, driven by food sales.

The ONS said that the first increase seen since the financial crisis also saw a boost for smaller pubs.

The British Beer & Pub Association (BBPA) said it "cautiously welcomed" the news.

According to ONS data, the number of smaller venues with fewer than 10 employees increased by 85 in 2019.

That follows on from more than 15 years of closures.

High Stickland, senior statistician at the ONS, said: "While smaller pubs have been struggling to survive in recent years, bigger pubs have been growing in number.

"We'll have to wait to see if this marks a revival for smaller 'locals'."

Read full article - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51135755

wwwwwwwwww.jpg

Last edited:
Is a pub focusing on food really a pub? Not as a criticism, but a lot of pubs I know have become restaurants selling british food in old buildings. Which is fine but they don't offer what I class as the pub experience.

I love a pub but I don't really get the opportunity to actually go to one. Went to the local pub for lunch on sunday, 1 pint of Timothy Taylor and a steak pie with the family for sunday lunch.

Is a pub focusing on food really a pub? Not as a criticism, but a lot of pubs I know have become restaurants selling british food in old buildings

I would say yes and i don't think they have much choice, when i was my lads age we lived in pubs few served food they were proper pubs, my lad (21 year old) and most of his friends don't drink they rarely go into pubs and when they do they mostly drink soft drinks i doubt any pub round here not serving food could survive.

Is a pub focusing on food really a pub? Not as a criticism, but a lot of pubs I know have become restaurants selling british food in old buildings. Which is fine but they don't offer what I class as the pub experience.

I love a pub but I don't really get the opportunity to actually go to one. Went to the local pub for lunch on sunday, 1 pint of Timothy Taylor and a steak pie with the family for sunday lunch.

A lot of the pubs in London (well the ones I've been in) seem to promote food and family. Some of em are like kiddie play centres with the parents having sunday lunch

There's a couple opened in Wrexham the end of last year. One being a tap room full of local and other real ales. Very good on all accounts...I must try it! Makes a change from those disco dumps selling pish...

There will be none left soon here, its not a pub if menus are on tables either.

I would say yes and i don't think they have much choice, when i was my lads age we lived in pubs few served food they were proper pubs, my lad (21 year old) and most of his friends don't drink they rarely go into pubs and when they do they mostly drink soft drinks i doubt any pub round here not serving food could survive.

I think it reflects a real shift in drinking culture. Even as recent as the mid to late 90s, when I started going out to pubs with my mates, the vast majority of local boozers were just that. Real drinking dens with little to no windows (so folk's wives couldnt see if their man was getting hammered). Not even a toastie on offer in these places. A packet of out of date scampi fries was probably the most food you'd get. Don't know if this is a West of Scotland thing, but these places seem to be the ones going under.

We have a couple of pubs round here that don't serve food but they must get sick of the endless trail of people coming in asking if they do. My local started off 25 years ago as a non food pub but eventually they cracked and did very well for themselves. There's very little profit from beer sales but loads on food.

There's very little profit from beer sales but loads on food.
I think that is what is happening. These will mostly be small cafe's that have applied for a licence. How else will they get the statistics?

I was in my local shopping centre recently and was surprised to see a pop-up bar owned / promoting Edinburgh Gin. I was surprised because it was in the middle of the open area and as such had no walls. Would that count if it was a temporary licence?

Proper pub, GoodAle, good company, maybe even a Duke box...

I think it reflects a real shift in drinking culture. Even as recent as the mid to late 90s, when I started going out to pubs with my mates, the vast majority of local boozers were just that. Real drinking dens with little to no windows (so folk's wives couldnt see if their man was getting hammered). Not even a toastie on offer in these places. A packet of out of date scampi fries was probably the most food you'd get. Don't know if this is a West of Scotland thing, but these places seem to be the ones going under.
Nope, definitely not just a Scottish thing. I grew up in Buxton and started boozing at the same time. Pubs were smoke filled drinking dens as you say. While I personally am glad they're now smoke free (I'm asthmatic) I do miss a "proper" pub. I think the blame lies a lot with supermarkets, nowadays people don't want to spend 5 quid plus for a beer when they can buy a crate for not much more, stay at home and drink there. Since moving to Spain one of the main differences I've seen is the price of beer and wine. It's so cheap here!!! Where I live a glass of red wine is 1.50€, granted I live in a wine region but beer isn't much more expensive. Even craft ale is only around 3-4€ a pop which is considered very pricey here! This access to cheaper booze means that the bars are doing very well here! Probably the only industry that is! haha

No details yet -

Penrith Wetherspoon's The Dog Beck CLOSED A sign has been placed on the door advising customers the pub is closed until further notice and that your nearest Wetherspoon's pub is in Carlisle and Keswick

The last 3 pubs I've been to for food have all been sub-standard on that front, but better on the beer. I don't nuch like pubs that have a major and stronger focus on the food than beer (as that for me is not a pub). But I do like a pub that is mainly focused on the drinks than food, sadly those such places are still in decline here which makes me think the rise is solely down to a business model moving away from the beer & moving more towards the food as their main focus. To me, that's not a true pub in the traditional sense. But I can accept changing times, evolution etc.

Been in spoons in Penrith a few times, it's always busy with a good atmosphere.

Been in spoons in Penrith a few times, it's always busy with a good atmosphere.
Kind of goes against my post above, but the Spoons round here has some great "real" ales these days. Just a shame the food is average.

I used to like going to the pub after a hard days graft and i did not like tripping over screaming kids who were just left to run riot.:mad:

Its all academic now as i cant afford pubs anymore.
Twice a year now at most.

used to work in a Whethers kitchen, wouldn't touch the food with a barge pole

Sadly When you loose local pubs and must drive or get a taxi makes it impossible to have a local. I used to call in after work most nights, now I get home, tea, face cracks with fire, bed. Boring.
About withers though, there's not many can pull or keep a good pint imo. Kids running them don't know jack.

Back