UKSkydiver's Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AG #28 Old Thumper - Update

This has been kegged for a couple of months now and it's still lovely, despite accidentally using lager malt in strad of ale malt. I will def be brewing this again.

Only about 5 litres left now.

20230521_175810.jpg

AG #27 Fuggy Helles - Update

Been drinking this for a little while. Thought it had some cabbagey flavours, but feedback from the April? comp was that there we no off flavours. It even scored 38 which I'm pretty happy with.

Nice straight out of the keg in the sun.

20230527_171826.jpg

AG # 30 - Dampfbier - A hefeweizen beer, but using barley (mostly)

Dampfbuster - Dampfbier

Weissbier
5.0% / 12.5 °P
All Grain

001 - BrewZilla 35L - 11LitreBatch

70% efficiency
Batch Volume: 20 L
Boil Time: 30 min
Mash Water: 26.39 L
Total Water: 26.39 L
Boil Volume: 23.13 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1048

Vitals

Original Gravity: 1052
Final Gravity: 1013
IBU (Tinseth): 12
BU/GU: 0.24
Colour: 12.2 EBC

Mash

Temperature — 67 °C45 min

Malts (4.65 kg)

2.17 kg (46.7%) — Maris Otter Pale Malt, Maris Otter — Grain — 4 EBC
1 kg (21.5%) — Crisp Vienna Malt — Grain — 7.8 EBC
500 g (10.8%) — Lager Malt — Grain — 3.9 EBC
500 g (10.8%) — Thomas Fawcett Wheat Torrified — Grain — 3.9 EBC
250 g (5.4%) — Amber Malt — Grain — 60 EBC
230 g (5%) — Munich Malt — Grain — 17.7 EBC

Hops (46 g)

27 g (8 IBU) — Hallertauer Hersbrucker 3% — First Wort
19 g (4 IBU) — Hallertauer Hersbrucker 3% — Boil — 15 min

Miscs

15 ml — CRS/AMS — Mash

Yeast

1 pkg — CML Gretel 75%

Fermentation

Primary — 21 °C7 days
Carbonation:
2.4 CO2-vol

Notes

Another user-upper. Having just brewed the Leffe Radieuse which will need to condition for months, and with the Helles and Old Thumper quickly diminishing, I wanted to brew something that could be enjoyed quickly. My mind came back once again to a hefeweizen, but I had no weizen (except a bit of torrefied left over) So a bit of Googling brought me to find a wheat beer with out the wheat. A dampfbier which is a hefeweizen using barley. Result. I had CML Gretel hefeweizen yeast in stock. I had odd and sods of various pale and lager malts, and the recipe appears to be pretty flexible on malts. It also calls for European noble hop (tick) so I had everything I needed.

Pretty uneventful brew process; 45 min mash with an 8 hour over night mash at 55c with a 30-odd minute boil in the morning (Oh - one small change here is that the hops were not pellets, but appears to be vac packed, dried left pellets). Left the wort for a day to no-chill naturally. Sadly I decided to do that on the warmest weekend of the year so far. The yeast goes up to 30c and the temp of the wort was down to 27c on the following day, so good enough. Safely packed up in the brew fridge set to 21c.

I've read reports of suggesting that you want to underpitch to get the right balance of yeast flavours. I've also read other suggestions of not doing the things you would normally do to help the yeast on their way, so as a departure to my normal pitching regimen, I did not aerate the wort and I did not re-hydrate the yeast, although I did pitch a full 10g packet. So I guess the idea with this approach is to make the yeast work a little harder for its dinner.

I hope that this will be done fermenting by next weekend, I plan to transfer to keg and hopefully I can taste the fruit of my labours in two weeks.

Last edited:
AG #29 Leffe Radieuse - Update

Just under three months on since brewing this. First try of the bottled version of the Leffe Radieuse.

20230813_191744.jpg

First impressions are:

Appearance.
Browner than I had expected. Nice and clear. The sort of head that I would not expect to last very long. Off white/light tan.

Aroma.
Not a lot here. Some sugary/toffee maybe. No hop character.

Taste.
Caramelly
Sweet
Alcoholly (fusels?)

It's not very Belgian-y I don't think. First time using the CML Flushed Nun. Not sure if it's the yeast or the (massive) amounts of sugars added to (accidentally) bring it up to 8.7% that has made the fusels overpower the yeast character.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a beer taste expert. 😀 It's drinkable. Probably an acquired taste. Might be better during the long winter months. I should also add that I've never tried a Radieuse, so I have no idea how it's supposed to taste.

Swap?

Latest posts

Back